what to eat in BRUSSELS

Jul 20th, 2001, 08:54 PM
MABLE

what to eat in BRUSSELS

PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME SPECIAL FOOD THAT I MUST TRY IN BRUSSELS. SINCE I CAN READ ENGLISH ONLY, ANY PROBLEMS TO ORDER IN THE RESTAURANTS? I READ FROM SOME ARTICLES ABOUT A TYPICAL DISH CALL "STOEMP", ANYBODY KNOWS WHAT IS IT? THANKS.

Jul 20th, 2001, 10:50 PM
Babs

Hi Mable. Brussels is well known for mussels. Very popular. Also chocolate, but I have a feeling that wasn't what you were thinking. When I was in the Netherlands a dish called "stomppot" (sp) was considered a traditional dish; might be the same. If so it was a meat, beef or whatever, cooked with other vegetables, mashed potatoes blended with sauerkraut - real "home cooking" dish. My description doesn't sound so good, but really delish! Hope someone else will post who can do a better job of answering your question than I.

Jul 21st, 2001, 12:56 AM
Myriam

STOEMP is mashed potatoes mixed with vegetables like endive, or spinach, or some other vegetables. When I make it (like my mother and grandmother make it) we do not put meat in it.
MOSSELEN/MOULES (mussels) are of course a MUST when you're in Belgium. Officially the season starts on August 8th (14 days late because of the bad growing!) but you can find them in many restaurants already.
GEGRATINEERD WITLOOF/CHICONS AU GRATIN is also typical food. Chicory rolled in ham and served in a cheese sauce "au gratin".
GENTSE WATERZOOI is another one: the original waterzooi is a creamy kind of soup made with chicken and vegetables. It is a one-pan dish served as a main course.
Smakelijk/Bon appétit!

Jul 21st, 2001, 05:14 AM
Liz

And of course, Frites, and waffles! Don't worry about language - we had no trouble in Brussels and Brugge using just English, and most menus had english translations on them. All the waiters, etc. seemes amazingly mult-lingual, I was VERY impressed.

Jul 22nd, 2001, 12:27 AM
ihateteenagers

Your English isn't good enough to pass for a native English speaker.

Your native tongue is probably German or Flemish; your syntax is a dead giveaway. Why are you trying to pass as an English speaker?

Jul 25th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Jerry

Mable,

Also consider going to a sandwich shop, sometimes they are called just 'snack' and try one of a dizzying array of salads that you can order on a sandwich.
3 tuna salads, 4 chicken salads, shrimp,
white cheese, and the list goes on. Avoid something with a logo that looks like a chain. The small independents are the best.

I find this variety and sense of experimentation with food typical of Belgium. I have not found the same variety in France, Italy, Germany or
the Netherlands.

In my opinion, for a great sandwich, Brussels is the place to go. Order 'cressonettes' (watercress sprouts) on the sandwich as well. It adds green and eye appeal.

Also consider matjes (young raw herring). They are good with diced onions.

You just made me hungry. Enjoy your trip.

Jerry

Jul 26th, 2001, 07:45 AM
sandi

Well, Brussell Sprouts, of course!!!