ROME TO ZURICH

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:10 AM
LON

ROME TO ZURICH

ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT TAKES TO DRIVE FROM ROME TO ZURICH? THERE WILL BE FOUR OF US THAT NEED TO GET THERE FOR A TOUR.. THE AIRFARE IS QUITE HIGH ONE WAY.. THOUGHT WE COULD RENT A CAR AND DRIVE..ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED..

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Ed

Europeans might think more in terms of travel by train. It's about 9-1/2 hours; I'd guess at a $75 fare.

Driving time? I'd estimate at least 9 hours of actual driving plus stops ... it's nearly 550 miles. Timing would also depend on traffic in the mountains/tunnels.

Do check the price of a rental. Generally much less to rent in advance with prepay from the US before you travel. One-day rentals tend to be relatively expensive most often. You may find the drop charge for renting in Italy and dropping in Switzerland to be a bit high as well. We generally find AutoEurope a good source, but it's always worth checking with two or three others as well.

twenj

Jul 24th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Ursula

Lon hello! Keep in mind that it's holiday peak season everywhere in Europe. You might face serious traffic jams all over. At the Gotthard pass, over weekends up to 17 km (= some 10 miles in both directions. During the week, a lot of trucks. Not knowing when you intend to travel, I would in any case prefer the train (sleeping car).

Jul 24th, 2001, 09:00 AM
xxx

Round trip airline tickets are often less expensive than one-way. You can tear up the the return ticket. Check out www.qixo.com.

Jul 26th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Lon

thanks for the info-sounds like the train may be the way to go.. is this something I can purchase before I go?
Are there different trains? where might I contact? thanks Lon

Jul 26th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Ed

No need to purchase ahead. Service basically every hour at :30.

Schedules available at www.rail.ch or www.trenitalia.it

You can buy at the station in Rome, or most any travel agency in Rome. (Many speak English, including, certainly, the American Express office just off Piazza di Spagna.) I would get the tickets at your earliest convenience when you arrive in Rome since you'll need to reserve seats.

You can purchase in your home country. If that's the US you'll pay a bit of hefty surcharge. Your travel agency or RailEurope or many others can sell the tickets. (Though in addition to the price problem, many report errors in ticket issuance from the US, including our own experiences.)

Jul 26th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Lon

thanks again for the info!.. Is the train station in Zurich at the airport? I read that on an earlier post..that would sure be convenient as we are meetin a tour at the airport..

Jul 26th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Ed

Yes, there is a train station at the Zürich airport. You may have a change at the main station, or it might be a through train. There are about 6-7 trains an hour from downtown to the airport so the connection will be convenient.

Jul 26th, 2001, 07:23 AM
lon

After looking at the schedules trenitalia looks like they leave around 11:30 a.m. which would be a good time for us..the SBB leaves at 2:30..any advice on which line would be the best?

Jul 26th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Ed

You should find the same schedules on all websites. This isn't like airlines ... services in Italy are operated by FS, in Switzerland by SBB, though the cars might well be German.

There are services at 11:30, 12:30 and 14:30. All have two changes. The 14:30 departure is the faster of the three.

But if you're not leaving on your tour until the next day? Why go to the airport. Stay in town. It's only 10 minute trip from downtown to the airport to meet your tour the next day. While Zürich isn't Rome, it's a pleasant city, and there are many good restaurants.

See www.twenj.com/swisszrhoneday.htm

Jul 26th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Lon

One last question...I cant seem to find out what the cost of a ticket would be..any way to find out? thanks

Jul 26th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Ed

RailEurope can provide an "approximate" fare, but in my experience it's always higher, sometimes by quite a bit, than you'll actually pay in Europe. Depending on the connections you take you may have to pay a seat reservation fee as well, usually around $5 (per leg) or less.