What to do in Santorini?

Old May 27th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Santorini?

We will only be there for 2 days...what should be our "must-do's?" We are staying at the Volcano View Villas. Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:01 PM
brotherleelove2003

Take in the archaeological site of Akrotiri and/or Ancient Thiri above Kamari Beach, and go to Oia for the sunset and a nice dinner. Excellent shopping in Fira.

Old May 28th, 2003, 03:16 PM

You can take a boat around that will stop at the volcano and the hot springs that you can swim in. There are various ones with different itinerarys. You can go swim at the black sand beaches...wear flip flops when walking on the sand though. Its fun to rent mopeds, but if you do be very careful.
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:44 AM
brotherleelove2003

Corrrection: I meant to write-- "Ancient Thira".

Old May 30th, 2003, 07:57 AM

The new attraction is a submarine wich allows visitors to have different 'view' of the volcano:underwater,...with some werckages and divers.

A drink at franco's bar is a must and a dinner at Selene's or Kukumavlos .
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:33 PM

A friend of mine just spent a week there, but all he did was drink.....
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:39 PM

trashtalk... reminds me of a DADA song!

I was there a few years ago and loved Akrotiri, then went over to Red Beach- fantastic!

Also spent a day at Perissa beach- cool black sand.

Donkey ride up to Ancient Thira was fun and then the rest of the day at the beach below.
Old May 30th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Hey! I'm the friend that TrashTalk was referring to above and in my defense I did more than just drink! Seriously though, I was there for nine days and couldn't get enough of it. Just taking in the scenery and sunsets should be your #1 priority both days! Oia is the best place to watch the sunsets. The bus ride from Fira to Oia costs less than a buck each way. Buses stop running around 10:00 or 11:00pm, at least in the fall, maybe later in summer. Taxis cost about ten dollars each way. I met some great people there and just hung out and took it easy while enjoying the views. Honestly, Akrotiri only took about 20 minutes to walk through and wasn't that exciting. I'd try Ancient Thira instead. Kamari beach is nice. I didn't take any volcano tours but they sound fun. If you're American you may not be able to rent scooters. Apparently our sue-happy reputation has made it to the greek islands. Too bad. Have a great time. You can't go wrong no matter what there. It's an unforgettable place.
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:35 PM

RED BEACH IS A MUST. Perissa is pretty unbelievable too. Have yogurt with honey and fruit for breakfast (nothing like US yogurt)
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:15 AM

JenniferX is right! Yogurt is a must. While on Santorini a Dutch friend I had met introduced me to her favorite - yogurt with honey and walnuts. It's really good!
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 07:38 PM

We just spent a few days in Oia and I'm about to write my trip report. I'll recommend a place to eat in Oia that may not get mentioned in the travel books.

There is a restaurant in Oia named Thomas Grill. It?s near the bus stop in Oia and many tourists walk by this fine establishment never imagining what they?re missing. Thomas, who owns the restaurant, was the nicest Greek we met on our trip. This is a family restaurant where Thomas? mom serves simple, but good Greek food at very reasonable prices. There are no views of the Caldera but if you?re staying in Oia and you already have a wonderful view from your hotel or villa, you can sacrifice an hour and eat a restaurant where the owner makes you feel like you?re part of the family. Give it a try and ask for Thomas. I'll guarantee you that he'll treat you like you're the most important guest in his restaurant.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:37 PM
brotherleelove2003

Locsin-

Is the Thomas Grill the one on the path to the main square from the bus stop or is it the one that is actually at the bus stop?

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:20 PM
donnabee

Go to Oia and go to the bottom of the cliff. There is a great fishing village with a ton of outside restaurants. Afterwards, take a walk up and down the rocks to your left, and watch people jump off a huge cliff into the water. Other than that, it's mostly just going to beaches.

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:07 PM

Brotherlee, it's the one on the path from the bus stop to the central square.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Francos is nice but very expensive. You can see the same sunset from the balcony of the Tropical Bar just a few meters from Francos and the music is excellent. It is run by Australians. Selenes in Fira is an excellent restaurant. I had read about it in a Canadian magazine. For a cheaper and authentic Greek meal, try the Three Brothers restaurant in the middle of Fira. If you are craving eggs and bacon, the best deal is at Mommas Rest. on the main road in Fira. Lets face it, new restaurants pop up every year just like at home. Half the fun is discovering them.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:46 AM

I think one reason the yogurt in Greece is so much better than ours back home is that it's made from whole milk, rather than the low fat stuff we see here. It is wonderful; like eating sour cream, IMO. (Fat grams are almost as bad, also!)