What to do in Lucerne

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Lucerne

My family & I are on a European holiday we will arrive in Lucerne on the 3rd June 2007 and stay for 3 nights - what are the best recommendations for sightseeing while there. Also, is the nightlife great have a 19 y.o. girl and want her to expand her horizons.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:38 AM

The Rosengart Art Museum, Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Rigi, boat trip on the Lake, exploring the old town, Saturday market, the Jesuit church are all good things to see and do.

Didn't experience the nightlife myself, but I recently read an article about Lucerne and its trendy bars and restaurants. Can't remember where I read this. Maybe online?

Lucerne is lovely. Enjoy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:54 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We loved the Swiss Museum of Transportation, and we're not generally big on museums.

www.verkehrshaus.ch/en/
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:14 AM

visit mt.titlis, walkaround lucerne city,visit interlaken, and dont miss though many miss it - visit the aareschlusct gorge if you plan to go to interlaken...that was the best and best part of our trip!!!!
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM
JN

Type in the phrase "Luzern sightseeing" in the "Search this Forum" box, click and you will get a bunch of threads in which previous posters have asked this same question and gotten sage advice.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Another vote for the transportation museum. It has quite a bit to offer.
One aspect of the museum that I have seen in no other museum is a comprehensive display on mountain cable systems.

I learned for the first time the differences among the various types including the Luftseilbahn, Drehtseilbahn, Gondalbahn, Sesselbahn, and whatever else was included.

The river and lake transportation displays were interesting as well.

Old May 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Mt Pilatus is a definate go-to but only if the weather is clear. There is also a farmers market (I think Saturday morning) that is a lot of fun. We spent evenings just walking around the lake and stopping at cafe's along the way. Three days sounds like a long time though. We were there for only one day on a Globus tour and I absolutely loved Lucerne.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:04 AM

I went to Luzern last summer with CONTIKI. It was very beautiful and serene. It looked like right out of a storybook. A definite must see is Mt. Pilatus. On my trip we went to a restaurant called Stedkeller. It was a fun night. They had fondue, yodelling, and they made instruments out of brooms and saws. There was not much nightlife that I knew of but I remember some bars that were open later.
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Stadtkeller: very good for a taste of Switzerland.