What to do in Bordeaux

Old Jun 8th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Bordeaux

I will be traveling to Bordeaux in late June. Does anyone have any tips on what not to miss? Any good vineyard tours?
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 09:28 AM

I was there last year. I wasn't interested in vineyard tours so didn't do that (I've seen grape vines). Are you aware the bi-annual wine festival is during your stay?
http://www.bordeaux-wine-festival.com/

This is sort of corny, but I did enjoy the little tourist train around the entire city to relax and get a good overview of the place. Otherwise, I spent time walking around the Old Town area, of course, and went to the Beaux Arts museum. I was only there a couple days.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina, great suggestions.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 04:01 AM

We were very impressed with the Musée d'Aquitaine. We are more into history than fine arts. We did, nevertheless, like the Musée des Beaux Arts (it's not overwhelming).
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 05:26 AM

Of course, you can just stroll through town - it is charming enough.

A daytrip to the Atlantic coast is very rewarding - climb ub the huge dune of Pilat and go swimming afterwards. See the harbour in Arcachon.

For wine:

The Médoc has those splendid chateaux. Most of them are closed to the public, but it is worth enough driving through the vineyards and seeing the great buildings from the outside. A few of the lesser vineyards can be visited, you make ask the hotel concierge which one will be available.

We visited this one: http://www.tourduhautmoulin.com/

It was the old style, just our family guided by the winemaker's daughter through the old-style cellars and afterwards tasting (and buying) the wine.

St. Emilion is also woth a daytrip - it is a charming little town with smaller wineries around.