Reload this Page >

What to do in 5 Days in Scot;land

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Jackie

We will be spending 5 days in Scotland in late October. What is the weather like at this time? We will be traveling by train to various places from Edinburgh.Should we make day trips from there or base somewhere else> What are the MUST places to visit? Thank you for your help.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Roger Vineall

I think late October will be cold (and probably wet). You'll probably want to spend a day or 2 exploring Edinburgh. I'd suggest heading west towards the western highlands. Oban is a pleasant town, and you could catch a ferry to neighbouring islands. Don't know about train times from Edinburgh though, but I think you might need to spend a night or two in the area.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 12:56 PM
Emily

The weather will be unpredictable, that's all you can say for sure. I spent two weeks in Scotland last November and only had one or two days of rain (I expected non-stop rain). Layer for warmth, it could get cold. <BR> <BR>Oban is a good suggestion. To get there from Edinburgh by train, you'll stop in Glasgow. Depending on the timing, you may get the chance to venture from the train station and explore the city for an hour or so. I think the trip takes maybe four hours in all, I remember leaving Oban at 8, arriving in Edinburgh around noon.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 02:05 AM
frank

The Oban plan is probably the easiest way to see the Highlands, wonderful views from the train. <BR>Edinburgh-Glasgow(Queen Street not Glasgow Central)40 mins, frequent service.Plan around Glasgow (Queen St.) to Oban times.(on net) <BR>There are also many bus tours.Weather probably cold & wet.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 12:15 PM
TOM OLDHAM

IT DEPENDS WHAT YOU LIKE AND HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE. GLASGOW IS INTERESTING---IF YOU LIKE URBAN LIFE---OBAN IS A GOOD SUGGESTION--IF YOU HAVE SOME MONEY, I WOULD EXPLORE THE COUNTRY (HIGHLANDS) FOR A FEW DAYS WITH A RENTAL CAR---MAGICAL SCENERY--FOG, LOCHS ETC.--NORTH WALES IS ALSO GREAT--A LTTLE SOUTH OF OBAN AND GLASGOW--IF YOU ARE A GOLF NUT, ST. ANDREWS (OUTSIDE OF EDINBURGH) IS MAGICAL