Reload this Page >

No Rail Stop in Sorrento?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:15 AM
sandi

I went to RailEurope to look at a train schedule from Sorrento to Rome and couldn't find Sorrento on their list...thus assumed.. <BR> <BR>If that's the case, and we don't have a car, what's the nearest city that has a rail stop? <BR> <BR>Thanks, as always.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:32 AM
Christine

You will probably get dozens of responses on this. Take the train to Napoli and then transfer to the Circumvesuviana line (the "local" train) http://www.vesuviana.it/

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:37 AM
sandi

Wait, I'm confused. Do you mean take the train in Sorrento to NapolI? I couldn't find Sorrento on the list of cities that had a train stop!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:38 AM
Walter

You will have to switch to the CS commuter train which is located 2 levels below the train station. I "cut & pasted" this below from a Pompeii trip report that might be helpful. HTH Regards, Walter&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>"At Napoli *Centrale* train station you switch to the Cs train (all this is also signposted and is ~150m with 60 stairs-2 long flights & 2-3steps) in front of track 13 near the front doors is a wide staircase going down to the Cs (Circumvesuviana) which is a commuter train to Herculaneum, Pompeii, and Sorrento (in that order). At the bottom of the stairs bear left, you come upon a hallway with the Cs ticket windows on the left (Metro ticket windows on the right). R/T ticket to Pompeii is 6200L. At the end of this short hall to the right is a wide hall (moving walkways) and the end of this hall are the Cs turnstiles, on the wall in front of you 2 boards will post the next 2 arriving trains, you want the *Sorrento* train (don't worry if it's not listed yet). There are 4 tracks, you'll want Bin 3. Half-way down the platform is another Departure Board and it will list that train's destination & time. The train's destination for you will be "Sorrento", this train runs every half-hour. *This* train stops at Ercolano (Herculaneum) (18min) and Pompeii in ~35/40min and Sorrento in ~1hr. <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:38 AM
adrienne

Hi Sandi, <BR> <BR>Sorrento does indeed have a train station. There's a bus stop as well (just in front of the station). If you're coming from Rome you need to change in Naples for the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento. I did this just last April. Pompeii is a stop on this line about mid point in the Naples to Sorrento trip. From Naples to Sorrento is about an hour and the train was packed the morning I took it but the cars began to empty out about half way to Sorrento. When you arrive in Naples you go downstairs (there's an escalator for the way up only). There will be lots of people looking to carry your bags in return for money. If you don't want help from these folks then just don't look at them and keep walking...they'll get the message. <BR> <BR>The train station in Rome can give you the fares and prices (it wasn't all that much money). Or, if you want to check it out before you get there here's the URL for the Italian Railway: <BR>http://www.fs-on-line.com/eng/index.htm <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:43 AM
Paulo

There sure is a train stop in Sorrento ... but it's not operated by the FS (Ferrovia dello Stato). You'll have to take the Circumvesuviana train (departures every half hour - trip time jus over one hour) to Naples, then go up to the upper level in Napoli Centrale station and take one of the frequent the FS trains to Rome. <BR> <BR>For schedules you'll need to undestand a bit of Italian and have a .pdf reader plug in, like Adobe Acrobat Reader. <BR>http://www.vesuviana.it/orari.htm <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:45 AM
Walter

Sandi, sorry just woke-up from a nap (really and give you Rome *TO* Sorrento directions. But in anycase you take the CS train to the Naples train station and then onto Rome. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:52 AM
sandi

Thanks everyone. Since we'll be leaving Sorrento on All Saints Day (and my Italian is not so good) can someone give me the low-down on the holiday/Sunday schedule to Napoli? Again, thanks.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 12:55 PM
Paulo

Sandi: Through September 5th, there are 37 frequencies on Sundays and Holidays, starting at 5:01am until 10:56pm. After September 5th the frequencies should be cut down somewhat but there should be plenty left (autumn timetable is not out yet). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>