What to do for 4 days after Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got lucky a few days ago & found an excellent air fare to Paris so I'm arriving on Thursday June 12 & leaving 2 weeks later.

I love Paris but started to feel claustrophobic after a week there the last time I visited so I am thinking about breaking up my trip - but don't have much time to plan it out. So I am thinking of spending the first two days in Chartres, getting over jet lag & visiting the cathedral, then spending Saturday through Saturday in Paris, & then going somewhere else through the following Wednesday. My flight leaves at 10:30 AM Thursday so I need to spend Wednesday night near CDG airport.

I keep changing my mind about what to do during those 4-5 days. First I like the idea of going to Strasbourg, then Brittany, or maybe Dijon, or Sarlat - you get the idea, I'm having difficulty making up my mind.

So I figured that I should ask for advice. I'd rather avoid driving if possible and am almost for sure traveling by myself.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:13 PM

As much as I loved Brittany, I would not go there without having a car... The same goes for the Dordogne (Sarlat).

You would be fine in either Dijon or Strasbourg.

Any interest in Reims and Champagne?
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Getting to Chartres could be daunting, I would think.Two days? You could do a day trip from Paris. Why don't you go to Provence direct from CDG for a few days, come back to Paris, and then your departure is easy from your Paris hotel.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
ira

Hi S,

2 days in Chartres? You will definitely relax.

>I'd rather avoid driving

The Dordogne is car country.

You could visit Strasbourg, Nancy, Colmar, and Baden-Baden by train. There is a direct TGV from CDG to Strasbourg.

Dijon and Beaune would be nice for 2-3 nights. You could start Paris to Auxerre for a night or 2, and go on to Dijon.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions.

ekscrunchy - I am definitely open to suggestions for other destinations.

Gretchen & Ira - I've been wondering about the Chartres part, too. I've been leery about going anywhere via TGV on the day I arrive in case there's any problems with the flight and I miss the connection. For example, the TGV to Strasbourg leaves at 12.47 (and the next TGV is 7 hours later) so it would be cutting it close even if my flight arrives on time at 11:00.

But it is a hassle getting to Chartres & a day trip from Paris seems like a better use of time.

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Shanti,

i agree with gretchen - do Chartres as a day trip from Paris; this will give you a longer time for your trip elsewhere.

my choice would be Nice - there's a TGV, excellent public transport in that area and lots of things to do which don't require a car.

regards, ann

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Agree with Annhig, but prefer La Rochelle for an overnight or 2 day stay. No need for a car and definitely a change from Paris!
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Getting to Chartres from central Paris is easy, but spending 2 days there is probably overkill. In addition, there's not much to choose from in hotels. I'd strongly recommend staying in Paris first and visiting Chartres as a day trip by rail.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Another vote for Nice and Cot ( train or plane) and then a week or so in Paris.

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Why not just head straight into Paris after arriving at CDG? Enjoy your week in Paris and take a daytrip to Chartres. Then hop on the TVG to Strasbourg or wherever you think you might like to go, for however many days. Then you could either head back into Paris for your last night or two, or just TVG straight back to CDG and stay the night there.

I wouldn't worry about getting over jetlag in Paris- going there first requires little navigation, you don't have to worry about catching a train or hauling off to Chartres, and you can always go at a slower pace if you're feeling sluggish from jetlag.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Shanti,

Not sure exactly what you mean about feeling claustrophobic in Paris, but I'm wondering if Strasbourg may not be enough of a change. I found it a bit more claustrophobic than Paris...It's a pretty big city (well, it's not Paris but still) and perhaps too much of the same?

Perhaps some of the other suggestions that get you into some more green space here are better.

gruezi
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

By claustrophobic, I meant that I start to crave being in open spaces, not surrounded by tall buildings.

So now I'm looking at train & flight schedules, deciding whether to go to Nice (it is a big city, but it is on the sea & it's easy to get away to less developed areas) or Auxerre, Dijon, & Beaune.

Thanks again for the great suggestions. I knew I could get good advice here.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Shanti,

I do know what you mean and I got exactly the same feeling after a week in Rome.

Given what you said, I don't think Strasbourg is the answer.

Heading toward the water always soothes me after a busy city week...

gruezi
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Shanti, I second the notion of staying in Paris first. Since you’ve been there before, I’d suggest enjoying the quatorze juillet festivities, doing some shopping (the summer sales should be in full swing), and revisiting favourite haunts. Then get out of Dodge.

Unfortunately, most places that are less “developed” tend also to be less accessible by public transport, and as said before best done with a rental car. What non-city attractions appeal to you? Hiking in the mountains? Eating fabulous fresh-caught seafood? Flopping on a sunny beach? You certainly won't lack for choice.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Ooops, just reread and you'll be there in June, not July. Just ignore my ramblings...
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Hi Shanti,

How about the Lake Geneva area in Switzerland? It's French-speaking and has French-influenced food and architecture. But it's only about three hours from Paris by TGV, so about half the distance to Nice.

The Lake is pretty large and peering over it will give you the expanse you crave. Stay in a small town like Vevey or Montreux and spend your days wandering the old town and sitting in a lakeside cafe.

Anyway, just a thought!

s
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

I'm beginning to wish that I had a longer vacation so I could go to all the places I'd like to go to.

And I've hardly gotten any work done this weekend. I just keep making vacation plans.

But I think I'm going to bite the bullet & rent a car and drive around Burgundy. I survived driving in Italy so I'll probably survive driving in France.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Driving in France is SOOO much easier than Italy, epsecialy once you're past Paris.

The side roads of Burgundy are great for discovering what the region has to offer. You won't regret having a car!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Klondike, I am sooo glad to hear that because I've made a reservation near Auxerre that can only be reached by car.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Shanti, your idea of driving around Burgundy is great, and I know you'll love doing that. A few years ago, I rented a car in Dijon and had the most wonderful time driving around for 10 days - by myself.

I had taken the train to Dijon immediately after arriving in Paris, as I didn't want to fool around with a car and jetlag at the same time. There was so much to see in Burgundy, and riding around the countryside was wonderful. I'd love to do it all over again! I returned the car in Auxerre (spent my last 2 nites there).I really liked Auxerre. Actually, I returned the car in a city a little further north, where there's a famous cathedral. I'm having a senior moment, and can't remember the name of that town. Anyway, have a wonderful trip!