Search

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do?

OK guys - I have a real issue I need your opinion on. I have a ticket to go to London tomorrow by myself for a week. My mom is now saying that if I wait a month then she will pay for my dad to go with me. She will also pay the difference in my airfare since I'll be going later. I am totally torn - What should I do? Please give me your opinions - and don't be too harsh please.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:58 AM

I assume you have a good relationship with your dad.... and can arrange the change from a work/personal perspective.

If that's the case, I'd go with my dad. And the day will come when you will be very happy you did.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:02 AM
ira

Hi
Mid-June is a terrible time to go to London, especially alone and without your father.

I definitely agree with julie.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:08 AM
dln

Go by yourself or go with dad? A no-brainer. Go with dad!!! You'll come back with great stories to make your mom jealous, or, if he drives you crazy, great stories to make your mom laugh!

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:12 AM
dln

PS If your mom is paying, she probably needs a dad-free vacation for herself for a week, so be a sweetie and take dad with you. You won't be sorry.

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Bootman4U

I'm not sure how Ira's supposed "terrible time to go to London" in mid-June would be any better with your Dad...what a present that would be: "Hey, Dad, let's go to London together....I hear mid-June is a terrible time to be there."
Anyway, that bit of total subjectivity notwithstanding I agree with the others about taking him along....
but I would also be curious as to why you are so "torn" about this issue..is there something you aren't telling us?

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Bootman4U:

I'm not sure, but I took Ira's comments to mean that NOW (i.e. mid-June) is a terrible time to go to London . . . especially w/o dad. This is as opposed to the alternative, which is to go in a month (maybe a better time according to Ira?) with dad. At least that's the way I understood it from clearly reading the original post AND Ira's response.

Now, to answer TravelforLife's question. I can't imagine anything better than to go to London with my dad. Since you have nothing to lose monetarily and everything to gain, I'd say wait (What's a month? It'll fly by!) and take your mom up on her offer.

Have a wonderful trip whatever you decide,
Jennie
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses! I have decided to go with my dad at the end of July.

To answer the question: Why am I torn? I am torn because I feel like after taking off from work and telling people that I'm going that they'll think I'm "a loser" for not going by myself.

In any case, I've decided to get past all that and go with my dad.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Hi Travelforlife,

I think your decision is a great one and one that you'll look back on for the rest of your life.

If you work in a place where people will think you're a loser for changing your plans to go with your Dad then you need a new job!

adrienne
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 03:36 PM

Make sure your mom will help you with the change fees on your ticket, if there are any!! Could be around $200...
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Good Choice!!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:37 PM

Did anyone consider dad's feelings? Maybe he'd rather go his own.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:47 PM

Mid June is a terrible time to go to London - what?! Care to elaborate?
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:08 AM
Sylvia

Couldn't you persuade her to wait until September. The end of July will be even worse than mid-June. London is to be avoided between June and September if possible. It is crowded with tourists, and if the weather is hot it can be very uncomfortable. Very few public buildings are air-conditioned.
Of course this applies to lots of other European cities. London has something to offer at any time of the year but try to visit when there's an R in the month;-)

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi Trav,

Good decision.