Notices

What time to visit Uffizi?

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 08:25 PM
Karie

What time to visit Uffizi?

Am about to order my tickets to the Uffizi. What time do you suggest is best? I am thinking 3:00 in the afternoon. Is that time too crowded? Or should I see the David early morning and head straight for the Uffizi? I appreciate all of your help. I have had the most fun researching and planning this trip...with your help!

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 02:11 AM
Bill Fleites

Hi Karie,
I visited the Uffizi last year, and was fortunate to be in Italy the one week (cultural awareness week) when the museums are open for free to the public. I stood in line at the Uffizi one morning at 8:30AM for two hours just to get in. The line was huge, but the treasures inside made it worth the wait. Later that week I strolled past the museum about one hour before closing and just walked right in. I went to the Accademia after lunch and even though there was a long line there too, it only took about 20 minutes to get in.
Based on this, my recommendation is that you do exactly as you state: the Accademia in the morning and then head straight to the Uffizi. You will probably only need a couple of hours at the Accademia to see David and Michaelangelo’s slaves. Then spend the majority of the rest of the day at the Uffizi viewing the incredible number of masterpieces there.
Also don't miss the Bargello, it’s only open 9AM-2PM so make sure to plan to spend a morning there and see Donatello’s David and Giambologna’s Mercury amongst other fabulous statues.
You might also want to visit: www.weekendafirenze.com, and buy your tickets for all three museums before you get to Firenze. Have a great time in Italy, it’s a beautiful country.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 03:25 AM
Chloe

The Uffizi is now open at night. Last June I went at about 8 p.m., and there was practically no one there — and no line!

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 09:20 AM
Virginia

I took everyone's advice and ordered tickets for the Uffizi and the Accademia through www.weekendafirenze.com three days ago. It says one is supposed to get an email confirmation within two business days, but I haven't heard anything. I sent them an inquiry email this rmorning and still haven't heard anything. Has anyone tried getting tickets this way recently? Did it take a long time? Thanks for any info.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 09:54 AM
elaine

I noticed last fall that they weren't too fast. I emailed them with inquiries a couple of times until I got a response.
Don't forget to print out or copy the confirmation they send you and take it with you to the museums.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 01:19 PM
Denise

We were there early October last year and had only to stand in the line for one hour. We were there about 2pm.
I consider us very luck for the whole trip, having heard the lengths ofthe waiting lines before we left, and this was the longest we stood waiting to get into anything. Denise

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 04:55 PM
Marge

Virginia - I ordered tickets for five Florence museums from waf. Took one query and five days, but the confirmations came. Still haven't heard about opera tickets ordered same day (March 4), but that's of less importance. Buon viaggio. Marge

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 08:54 AM
christine

I visited Florence in July. I went to the Uffizi at about 7 pm on a Saturday without any wait. The place was virtually empty which was wonderful for viewing the Botticelli's. Definitely see David early. I went to see David in the morning right when the museum opened and only had to wait about 30 min. Enjoy!

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 05:42 PM
Donatello

Last September, we called when we got to Florence and reserved Uffizi tickets in advance for the next day. We saw David just before lunch (no line) then walked to the Pitti Palace, where the ticket office is, to pick up our tickets. After lunch we walked to the Uffizi, went right to the front of the block-long line and were shown right in.