Travel guides for Spain?

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 02:01 PM
melinda garrison

Travel guides for Spain?

Anyone found a REALLY good travel guide for Spain(southern)? I love to find those that are kinda offbeat and give a little history too. My husband and I are going in October for two or three weeks. Would you recommend a day trip to Tangiers?

Thanks. I always feel more prepared to travel after I've read these postings!

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 05:28 AM
kristi

Can't help you with the travel guide-we took a copy of Fodor's when we went. I thought Tangier was a wasted day. It took a long time to get there from where we were staying and once you got there, it was dirty, people were hustling tourists to buy things the entire way and I really didn't find anything of interest there. I think that your time would be better spent seeing all of the fabulous places in Spain. We loved Seville, Ronda, Granada, Madrid, Toledo and there were still many other places that we didn't have time to visit.

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 06:37 AM
wes fowler

Melinda,
Don't depend on only one travel guide to assist in your planning. Three or more should be referred to initially to help set your plans, then concentrate on the contents of those that seem to best suit your interests. For starters, I would suggest the Insight Guide to Spain for an informal written overview enhanced by excellent photographs, the Michelin Green Guide for extensive detail on sites and sights and Baedecker's Guide which in many ways parallels the Michelin guide but offers color photographs and an excellent foldout map of Spain to assist in planning itineraries.

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 06:46 AM
wendy

I really liked the "Eyewitness Travel Guides: Seville and Andalusia "

We used it extensively while in thta region of Spain. Great recommendations on restaurants.

Also check out www.karenbrown.com

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 06:57 AM
Maira

I think the Fodor's Guide to Spain is really good. Another guide I highly recommend is the "Frommer's Spain Best-Loved Driving Tours". This book is a light, easy to carry map guide of driving tours depicting stops in main sights and also off-the beaten track towns. It includes the main highlights and history of the towns enroute. The pictures are beautiful with maps for every route. To me this is a must-have for driving in Spain.

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 12:32 PM
michele

I like Karen Brown's books. (I've mentioned it so many times I feel I should get a cut from her).
They are not traditional guidebooks, rather her personal choices. She includes suggested driving routes, too. I used to like Temple Fielding when he wrote it as it was so opinionated that it made me laugh. Sometimes guidebooks gush about everything...

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 09:24 PM
penny

Melinda -- I would highy recommend Penelope Casas' book Discovering Spain. We lived in Spain in 1995-96 and found her book to be the most insightful about out of the way places, small towns, etc. There is a second edition from, I think, 1998. Though her hotel recommendations are usually on the high side, her descriptions of towns and places to visit are unbeatable. We took a three week trip throug southern Spain and found the Rough Guide to Andalucia to be very very helpful. without it, we never would have visited places like the olive oil factory in Baena. It was great.

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 05:44 AM
Norm

I am going to Spain next Fall and
I have been able to track down a
considerable number of good web
pages on the net: I also have received
excellent information from the Tourist
Office of Spain in Toronto: you can
call or write to them and they will
send you excellent publications on some
of the main cities of Spain with maps,
etc: if you want my web page bookmarks
let me know and I will email them to
you:
Good Luck-Norm

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 02:49 PM
melinda

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I'm on my way to Border's!! Can hardly wait 'til My plane leaves in October!

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 05:46 PM
sheila

Penelope Casas! She gives history, great eating places (and a few recipes)plus she's a fine, fine writer. We were there three weeks in November and used her book all the time. IT was very helpful in deciding exactly where to go before we left, too. Discovering Spain. Someone else has mentioned it.