Notices

Getting clothes pressed

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 12:48 PM
Julie

Getting clothes pressed

Is this service available in hotels in Paris? Steam them in the shower or take a small travel iron?

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 12:53 PM
cheryl

I always travel with a small handheld steamer for my clothes. It's much lighter and easier to use than a conventional iron, and it does a great job.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 03:49 PM
Donna

Ditto the steamer. Mine is a small dual voltage (Franzus) model I always pack. You do need an adapter plug (but no converter). It's small and light but holds a lot of water. Does a fabulous job. Heats up while you're brushing your teeth and only takes a few minutes to steam everything you need for the day. I also bring a large plastic hanger with a swivel hook (to hang over the shower rod or the hook on the back of a door).

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 04:38 AM
elaine

Some hotels have laundry, pressing, and dry cleaning service available; the dry cleaning is obviously sent out.
I love these services when it is available. You can inquire in advance at your hotel. This is a personal choice: I would rather pay a few dollars for the service rather than
bring along an extra appliance, and sometimes while on vacation I enjoy springing for the luxury. I also personally have not had great luck with the steamers on taking out stubborn wrinkles such as in linen fabrics, the steam from my shower seemed to do just as little,but perhaps I used the wrong steamer. Of course the trick is to take as few things as possible that need that touch-up attention.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 08:13 AM
Adria

Which works best, using a steamer or taking a small travel steam iron?

I have seen both in the "travel" stores and wondered which one I should get, if either?

Thanks.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 07:23 PM
Donna

Not only does a steamer work much better, it's much more convenient to use. If you are staying at a hotel that does not have ironing boards the iron is going to be real difficult to use. Many hotels provide irons and ironing boards in the rooms these days or one which is readily available, so best is to call and check. Anyone planning to have items pressed or dry cleaned at a hotel in Paris is well advised to check the prices ahead of time. The cost of this service is very high.