Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What size car have you used for 4 adults?

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typically there are just 2 of us, but this trip there will be 4 so I am at a loss as far as trying to figure out size to order. And, of course, I am trying to rent the smallest, cheapest car available. My concerns are comfort and luggage capacity. We are trying to travel light, but we'll still have 4 slightly larger than carry-on size suitcases. Every car rental website seems to differ as to sizes in categories.

When you've travelled with 4 adults, what size car did you get, and were you happy with it?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:47 AM

We have a Renault Laguna which has been used to carry 4 adults comfortably enough (although it's usually 2 adults in front and one crate with cocker spaniel in back). We've also had a Volvo V70 wagon, which was terrific. The most uncomfortable car we've had was a Saab 93 2-door. The back seat leg room simply was too cramped for two adults.
The Renault Scenic gives adults in the back enough leg room...BUT the seatbacks are designed for children. The backs are really low and the headrests only came to my shoulder blades (I am 5'6").

If you've got four adults, make sure you get a 4-door car. Don't go for a 2-door.

Of the small cars, we were really happy with our Citroen C3--but ONLY for two adults. The backseat passenger area shouldn't be used for adults...way too cramped.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:44 AM

And where might you be traveling---makes a big difference.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:45 AM

julies,
For the past four summers we've traveled with another couple and everyone has been very happy and confortable in a Renault Laguna. Because our traveling companions are heavier packers than we and carry one quite large suitcase plus 1 carry bag each, we can't get buy with a smaller vehicle due to the luggage space needs. But since you pack light, a Renault Megane might work well for you. I'm just assuming that a Megane would be available in Lithuania, where you're renting.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
hsv

Do not try to settle for less than the Renault Laguna category. Other cars that size that often appear as rentals are Volkswagen Passat, Opel Vectra, or Ford Mondeo.
Your former estate car idea wasn't a bad one, despite my heads-up.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

We're going to Lithuania and in addition to the rental size problem, I am also struggling with the perennial "security of stuff in the car" issue. We're usually quite cautious about not leaving luggage exposed, and that seems to somewhat negate the idea of a station wagon just due to security factors. We also keep hearing these warnings about not leaving things visible more so when travelling to the former communist bloc countries. But, on the other hand, the one place where we did have a problem was in France, not in these countries.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM

When there were three of us in 2004 we rented a Renault Scenic, sort of a cross between a sedan and a small SUV. It sits high up, and the rear seats provide really good visibility. Luggage fit neatly into the covered are in the rear, although as we bought things we had to put some on the back seat.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I'm wondering, as you will be in Lithuania, you may be more likely to be offered something from Skoda...in case you haven't heard of them before, they're from Eastern Europe (Czech Republic). They're good cars and the Octavia would hold all four of you and luggage comfortably. A Fabia estate would work well; the Fabia sedan should be ok also but the hatchback might be tight. Skoda is part of the VW family. You can look at their models at http://www.skoda-auto.com/global/
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM
hsv

All of the estate cars' trunks are covered so luggage stored in the rear will be invisible.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Five of us (2 parents 3 largish teenagers) rented a Skoda Fabia in Cuba for 2 weeks with all our luggage and it was fine. We even picked up a hitch hiker once!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:10 AM

"'m wondering, as you will be in Lithuania, you may be more likely to be offered something from Skoda..."

While Skoda is a perfectly fine car it certainly is not the number one car in Lithuania. After all, it is 15 years from Soviet times, and while there are still also some old cars, cars on Lithuanian roads are usually quite new, and exactly the same ones as elsewhere in Europe. We had a Toyota in Lithuania.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:01 AM

But Skoda makes new cars, why would they be getting an old car? They're built on VW platforms. We have plenty of Skodas in my UK neighborhood; there's a dealer not far from us and it seems to do a fair business; some people say it's like getting a VW at a discount.
However, they are an Eastern Europe company, which is why I wondered if rental agencies in Eastern Europe/FSU territory might be able to work better deals on them. I know Skoda just inked a deal with Russia to build a new factory there.

What on earth made you think I was referring to old cars??