Should I rent a Ford Fiesta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm being a bit obsessive here, but we are a family of two adults and two kids traveling through France. We'll have two pieces of luggage, plus carry on bag and probably a light stroller. Q is what size car to rent?

I reserved a compact wagon from AutoEurope for about $600 for 12 days (including all). Then I saw a deal through Hertz for $460 including all for a four door, hatchback Toyota Yaris. Auto Europe says they match price but that comparable car is a Ford Fiesta.

Do you think Fiesta or a Yaris trunk would be big enough to handle two suitcases, plus carry on bag (rolling backpack) and light stroller? I'm guessing yes...but looking for confirmation from other obsessive types out there...
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM

You would all be much more comfortable in the compact wagon. Fiestas, sub-compacts, are very tiny. I would not consider one for two people, they're so small. Fiestas were a flop for Ford in the US.

You will probably not think it was worth the difference in price, and wish you had paid the extra.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:08 PM

As far as your belongings, it entirely depends on what you mean by "two suitcases". Since there are four of you, I'm betting you don't mean two carryon size rollaboards. Small cars have small trunks ... the rental car co's website may show a code for baggage for each model, but it's hard to trust that.

Two of us had a four door Alfa Romeo (plenty of room for 4 adults)that didn't want to accept our two 26" bags in the trunk ... we basically greased them to get them in. However, 4 22" ones probably would have fit. Lesson, when packing a small car trunk (or even a large one) is you can put several small bags into corners - but don't expect two large bags necessarily to fit. It's safer to do just one large one and some small ones.

Also, not to worry you, but I'm more comfortable if all the belongings are invisibly hidden in the trunk. I like wagons, but in a rental, if you'll be stopping with the packed car at sights along the way, visible belongings can draw thieves to the car.

My suggestion would be go to the next size, even if an extra $10 a day or so, to be sure your trunk can accomodate your stuff. On the other hand, if you won't be leaving the packed car unattended, it probably won't matter.
Have fun!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Rental companies don't guarantee actual car models, only car class. A 4-door Yaris or Fiesta hatchback is in the EDxx class. E is for Economy.

That's a very small car, and will not fit anything more than two 20-21" rollerboards and a couple of carryons. I doubt that all you have for 4 of you. 26" suitcases will hardly fit.

You may not need a Compact Wagon (CWxx), but you do need at least a Compact 4 door (CDxx) in my opinion.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Most wagons/hatchbacks have a cover for the cargo area (rolls out and hooks, like a window shade). Probably no less secure than an actual trunk.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:46 AM

I used to drive a Fiesta.

t depends on a couple of things. How big is your luggage? If not massive, then you should get it in the boot ok. Or you might have to put the carry-on/buggy in the back seat with the kids. How far will you be travelling with the luggage? Just one quick trip to a hotel, you'll survive, but if you are touring and moving luggage with you to different hotels, then something bigger would be better.

Then whether the car is big enough for the passengers - how old are your kids? If they are quite small then that will be fine, if you've got a hulking teenager as well as the buggy-user then that one will be cramped in the back seat. There's not much leg-room. Again, for quick trips it's bearable but not for touring.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:06 AM

No. I would upgrade to a bigger class. The Seat Alteia would make a great car for you. It has enough power on the roads, still easy to park and room for a family of 4 with some luggage. If you are highway driving, you are going to want something a bit more substantial.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:28 AM

Given thatyou are bringing a stroller I assume you have young children. Don't forget to hire car seats/boosters for them - they are compulsory in the EU. Having said that whilst you could manage with a Fiesta or a Yaris - after all millions of Europeans do - you may feel more comfortable with a larger car, simply because that is what you are used to.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:19 AM

I also used to drive Fiestas, one in US when they still sold them here (wish they still did!), one in Europe. I would not call them "very tiny" but they are certainly smaller than cars many people in the US are used to.
I think you may find a Fiesta uncomfortably small with the luggage if you are going to be driving a lot with everything ("through France" sounds as though you will not be staying in one place)
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:30 AM

My husband's family (plus two parrots) once drove cross country in a Ford Fiesta, with my husband (then 20 and already over 6') and his older sister in the back seat. Not surprisingly, they fought like cats the whole way out of simple discomfort.
For two people, the Fiesta would be fine. It's not a bad little car. But for four people, even two adults and two young kids, it's too small for long distance travel. And the "or similar" options are much the same--the Citroen C3, the Opel Corsa, etc.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:00 AM

<<Most wagons/hatchbacks have a cover for the cargo area (rolls out and hooks, like a window shade). Probably no less secure than an actual trunk.
>>

Only problem is, using the cover means you're not using the cargo space above it! If you really fill the back hold, it's all visible - and accessible, via the window. Again, not to instill paranoia - but in tourist areas, it is wise to be sure belongings are out of sight. (I remember as a kid when the family traveled in our wagons - big ones - the cargo area probably made us look like we had left an empty house behing ...)
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:26 AM
ira

Hi pk,

I think that an economy size car is going to be too small for you.

The Hertz people say that the Yaris can hold 1 large and 2 small suitcases. You can be sure that 2 large will not fit in.

The next larger car is the Opel Meriva. Hertz says 1 large and 3 small. Ha! it barely took 1x 26" and 2x21".

If your compact wagon is the Renault Megane Diesel, I think that is the right car for you.

By "including all" do you mean that CDW is included?

If so, your credit card will be much better for insurance. You will have zero liability. The CDW comes with a deductible.

Check with your CC company about details.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Wow, so the consensus is to go with bigger car.
Let me just add a few more details, though, and see if anyone thinks we can make it work with the Yaris (or similar):
Our kids are petite--age 6 and 11. We're only transporting bags to and from airport (we're staying in one place but will be using car, without luggage, for day trips.)
We travel frequently and have learned to pack light. We usually take one Delsey piece --23 inches, I think, and a duffel bag (on wheels) that is slightly smaller. Could that be squeezed in?
Last fall, we had a Renault Megane four door for a trip in Spain, and we had plenty of room...But it sounds like Yaris is much smaller than Renault Megane, right?

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Yes, it is. The Renault Megan is wider. Can you book it and then upgrade once you see it? Often, the compannies will let you do that. Another good option might be the Peugeot 207. Do try to get a diesel though as it will be much better as far as mileage.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Go down to the Toyota dealer and take a look at the Yaris.
I would go a step up.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM

If you don't have a long way to haul bags and you're only doing it once each way, the issue of cargo is less crucial. And from the size bags you describe, you may be fine. One thing about a duffel, even with wheels, is it is "shape-shifting", so will fit where a rectangular bag may not.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 08:56 AM
JP

We had a Yaris this May and the only way we could fit our 2 suitcases (one carryon size, one a couple inches longer and higher) in the back was to have them pushing up the cover (which in the Yaris is a a flexible felt-like thing).
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM

The Peugeot 207 is smaller than the Yaris. Even just transporting your luggage from the airport go for a bit bigger car. Maybe the Toyota Auris or Verso, a Golf, a Peugeot 307, Ford Fusion or Focus.
And don't forget the booster seats.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Oops. Maybe I had the Peugeot 307 wagon. Anyway, it was a compact wagon.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
ira

Hi PK,

>We're only transporting bags to and from airport...<

In which case you won't have to be concerned about closing the cargo cover.

You should be able to squeeze into the Yaris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -