Reload this Page >

What should I wear???

Search

What should I wear???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Miles

What should I wear???

Do people really believe themselves fit to travel, if when they discover the weather conditions at the time concerned, they are unable to make judgements as to what to wear? I would be interested on your thoughts - I for one think that it is pathetic asking others what to wear, some even down to the last sordid detail - please, and I stress please, grow up, and learn to look after yourselves!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Ess

It is kind of silly, isn't it, Miles? But I must say that this is by far the most grown-up travel forum I've discovered online - have you checked out some of the others?

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:40 AM
janice

Lighten up. Fashion is a huge business, and millions of people spend time, money, effort, attention and self-esteem in trying to look their best. Being well-dress in a trying situation can give someone confidence and self-assurance that could contribute to the enjoyment they experience in their travels. If you don't care about fashion or your appearance, that's fine, but this is an open forum. It is for people who are interested in this subject as well as for those don't share their interest.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Ess

Whoa!!! Janice, lighten up yourself! If this is an open forum, then Miles is just as welcome to express his opinion on the matter as anyone else. Nobody said they didn't care what they looked like. Maybe we just don't need a general consensus on the issue like junior high school girls. Besides, what's more important than wearing a smile?

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:07 AM
liz

Hi Miles, I'm with you on this one! It astounds me as to the number of questions on this topic! How do people actually funtion day to day if they can't fiqure out on their own what to wear while traveling? I also happen to be very fashion aware so maybe I have an advantage, but yet I can't imagine not knowing what to wear to go out for dinner in Paris, Rome, etc! Do these people ever go out for dinner at home? <BR>What do they wear then? Are they constantly perplexed with the simpliest of tasks? I think the answer would be yes! But this is an open forum so ask away, but that doesn't mean you won't leave some of us shaking our heads in disbelief!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Linda

Wearing what you wear at home isn't necessarily the best thing! I personally live in a major city (Las Vegas) where NOBODY dresses up for anything except the most *swank* restaurants and charity galas. Pants and jeans are acceptable in most any restaurant or venue. So my experience would put me out of place and/or limit the restaurants I can eat in in Rome, etc. Maybe the folks who ask these questions are just trying to ensure they fit in and don't become just another *ugly American* (or equivalent in their country). Or maybe they are just trying to make sure they are warm enough, or not too warm--something that is sure to ruin any vacation. To make a decision, you need to have the correct facts, and I think getting those facts is all they are trying to do (research is everything in planning). Not everybody is well-traveled, remember. For some it is the first time.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Sue

Bravo, Linda! Couldn't have said it better!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Capo

Same here...well said, Linda!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:46 PM
mark

When I went to Barcelona at the end of October I packed a fair amount of wool. It was already cool here in NYC and being that Barcelona is a few degrees further north I packed accordingly. It was warm and humid udring the day - at night it cooled down to the point of being able to wear wool comfortably. The obsession with fashion and the fashion business annoys the hell out of me - this manipulating of people's self image for profit is disgusting. And the attitude some people who think their fashionable and fabulous makes me nausous. And here in NYC we have a lot of those types - nothing sadder and pathetic than a middle aged woman or man who doesn't know how to age gracefully. I do read some of the "what to wear this months in 'x' city" just to get a idea of temps. But as for linen versus poly blend, Banana Republic versus Tse, so forth and so forth - all I can say is -YAWN.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Sarah

Perhaps the problem here is all the other threads belittling travelers the world over. As a first time eurotraveller, I was influnced by the snapping remarks on this board too. In defense of this seemingly rediculous question, and of those who ask it,My guess is that they are probably interested in avoiding the steryotipical "ugly tourist" scenario, thats all. <BR>Anyway, what good is a question if you can't ask it? What good is this board then?

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Annie

Geez, Miles. Who among us gets to decide who's "Fit to travel?" Why are you so (recurringly) concerned with someone else's travel wardrobe questions? If I come across a post that doesn't interest me, I just skip it. I don't obsess over why that person is so "pathetic" asking about the "sordid details" of their trip. <BR> <BR>If someone has a question and someone else is willing to provide an answer, you don't need to worry your pretty little head about it. <BR> <BR>To paraphrase my mother: "If you can't post something nice. . . . ."

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:30 PM
IWearNothing

I also wonder about these travelers who feel it's necessary to ask strangers what to wear when traveling - they must be highly insecure or very afraid of looking like the Ugly American (that's pretty easy, don't you think?). Americans as a group are overweight and underdressed so they DO need to do some thinking and planning for travel in Europe. Basic plan: no Hawaiian shirts, no khaki shorts, no Madras shorts, no shorts at all, no sneakers or running shoes, no baseball caps, no Hawaian shirts, no "loud" attire. Try to look "preppy." Keep your voices down - don't shout.