WHAT NOT TO MISS IN FRANKFURT

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:13 AM
Riekie

WHAT NOT TO MISS IN FRANKFURT

We will be spending two days in Frankfort in transit to Canada, travelling with kids. Any suggestions on how to get the best out of Frankfurt in this short time? Where to go/not to go? What not to miss etc? Many thanks!

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:58 AM
Philip

In my humble opinion, Frankfurt is the most boring European city. Perhaps you might think about hopping on a train and taking daytrips.

The town of Triberg in the Black Forest has Germany's tallest waterfall. You can climb the mountain alongside it and walk across bridges to get a closer look.

You might want to take a train to Cologne and see the cathedral. Or catch a river cruise on the Rhine.

Old May 7th, 2001, 04:21 AM
Andy

HI Riekie!

I would go and see Wiesbaden (half an hour drive from Frankfurt.) It's one of Germanys most beautiful towns. People call it "Nice of the North". There are a lot of things to do and to see: Shopping, great architecture, museums or just relax in one of the plenty parks.
Andy

Old May 7th, 2001, 07:36 AM
justtrying

To attempt to actually answer your question, I would suggest a walk down to the Roma, which is a kind of square with some interesting architecture. Maybe someone else can fill you in on this. Also, there is apparently a nice area across the river.

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Miriam

Hello,

I was just wondering about the last poster. The Roma? I`ve never heard of this. I know of a park at the Main River which the people in Frankfurt gave the nickname Nizza, like the city in the South of France. Do you perhaps refer to that one?

Miriam

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:24 AM
justtrying

I was in error. I believe it is called the Romer, an area approx. 1/2 a mile straight out the front of the Hauptbahnhof, if memory serves. Not a lot there, but less industrial than some of the surroundings. Remember, though, the area around the station is not necessarily scenic.

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:26 AM
just

As my German comes back to me, "Romer" may be simply the name of the city hall, but the area around it was attractive.

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Miriam

Hello,

ok, the Roemerplatz is a nice square with beautiful rebuilt houses in the city center. Part of that square is the Roemer, which as the last poster has pointed out is the city hall.
I would also recommend to visit the Zoo. It`s a very big one with one special attraction, the Grizmek Nachttierhaus. It`s mainly built to let people watch animals which are only active when it`s dark. It`s obviously very dark inside, but not scary for your children. I really like it.
If you are into museums, just go to the "Museumsufer". It`s on the Sachsenhausen side of the Main and you`ll find at least 6 museums, for architecture, post, film, the Staedel(art) etc..One of the museums near the Roemer has a special program for kids. It`s called "Historisches Museum". It covers the history of the city and you are able to watch for example how rich people lived decades ago(big doll houses for the rich kids) and how the poor people had to live. I was there when I was ten and was fascinated.

Miriam

Old May 7th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Beth

If you can get out of town, be sure to visit Rothenberg ob de Tauber, the oldest walled city which also features an incredible Christmas shop - more like an indoor Weinachtfest in summer! I'd also recommend the Zoo, and a Rhine cruise. If in July, you might catch the Rhine en Flammen. Enjoy!

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:52 PM
barb

thank you all for the great information
Please do not hesitate to add anything else
Thanks in advance.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Georgine

Dear Riekie,

We've traveled to Germany many times, but had always avoided going into Frankfurt proper because none of the tour books made it sound very appealing.

For convenience sake, we overnighted there on Sat. (5/12/01) and spent an entire day and night in the town.

As one of the other posters said, it's not a very exciting city. The "aldstadt", which is centered around the Romerplatz, is very small and will take up about an hour of your time to explore, including seeing the churches and souvenir shops.

The area of town around the Main River is very green and pretty with bike paths on the Sachenhausen side. You can rent bikes at the foot of the pedestrian bridge (Eisener Steg), if your children like biking. The terrain is flat and the views of the cityscape quite lovely.

There are tons of museums, if that is of interest to your children. They run along the riverside quay between the Eisener Steg and the Holbeinsteg bridges on the Sachsenhausen side of the river.
There are five museums in a row, but none that would have been of interest to any of my children.

The Zoo is also a good idea--it's supposed to be one of the best in Europe.

These activities, along with shopping, could use up the better part of a day.

I honestly believe Wiesbaden is "too mature" of a town for children. We also overnighted there, and other than the Thermal Bad (indoor and outdoor swimming pools with hot mineral spring waters), I would say little else in town would be of interest to children. (Even at the Thermal Bad there is no splashing, diving or actual free-style swimming going on --it's just soaking, quiet talking and people paddling (without splashing) around in a continuous counter-clockwise circle---made me quite dizzy after awhile. (We actually wondered if we would have been kicked out of the place if we started paddling around in a "clockwise" circle.)

If a one-day car rental is an option, a trip up the Rhine to visit some of the castles would probably be great fun for the children.

If a car is not an option, you can do a train to Bingen or Bacharach--then take a river cruise boat (K&D Line)that you can hop-on/off at little towns along the way (Bacharach/ St. Goar), and end up in Boppard, where you can take the train back to Frankfurt. Great castles on either side of the river.(At least 14 between Bacharach and Boppard--on the hilltops and even on islands in the river.)

At Bacharach, it's a 15 minute hike to Burg Stahleck and in St.Goar, there's a "little tourist train on rubber wheels" that will take you up to the ruins of Burg Rheinfels.

With a car, you would have more options along the Rhine for castles you can tour .
E-mail if I can help.