Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

15,000 FF miles offered to compensate for awful flights enough?

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:44 AM
gail

Just curious about Fodorites' response. Had awful flights by Continental to and from Spain in March (I summarized problems in earlier post) with missed connections, lost luggage for 2 days after arrival, etc. Just rec'd response from Continental with offer of 15,000 FF miles each for husband and self. Is this a generous offer in your opinion?

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:52 AM
xxx

Simply put: No.
That's not much for a totally botched service, since iit doesn't equal the price of the service (15,000 won't get you anywhere).
Would you accept one-fourth of a refund for any other bad service?

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:13 AM
ellie

Wow...sounds pretty good to me. We had a horror show trip with Lufthansa in March which involved missed flights and luggage lost for a week - never occurred to me to expect any sort of compensation for our misery - am I just stupid?

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:14 AM
yyy

Well, xxx, I'm not going to sign my name either, but I think Gail got an OK response from Continental. Not great, mind you. Not generous, but OK. Especially since it is 15,000 FF points each. EACH.
I once wrote a letter complaining to Continental and got a much more paltry response. Gail, I suspect this is all you are going to get.

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:27 AM
LL

My husband (a 55-yr. old doc in academic medicine -- which is to say, we don't go to Europe more than once per 20 yrs. and never fly bus.class) spent the last 4 hrs. of a flight crouching over an ill passenger lying in the aisle -- monitoring the man's condition and advising the captain as to whether diversion to a nearer airport was necessary. One grateful attendant tried to offer him a bottle of wine (too much to carry on this carryon-only trip), but that was it -- no acknowledgment otherwise from anyone. The plane was met by an ambulance and off we went into the crowd.

On the way back, American screwed up badly in several ways and the gate agents attacked us as if a baggage-handler's strike in Paris was all our fault and almost kept us from making our flight. A letter to American comparing the two incidents prompted 15,000 FF miles for my husband. That was it. You did well.

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Joan

I think you have done well: I just went through a battle over lost luggage in the Cayman Islands with American Airlaines and was offered a voucher for $150 US. As I am a Canadian and American Airlines no longer services Canada and its a non-transferable credit, this is a complete waste of time, but I have lost the fighting nerve!

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Howard

You can look at it this way: On Continental, it's only 40,000 miles off-season (November-May) to Europe, or 50,000 in season. So, with 15,000 miles, you're 37 1/2% of the way there off-season and 30% in-season.
So, if you are an OnePass member and got your miles for your recent trip, you're over halfway there for free trips off-season and nearly halfway in-season.!

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Howard

I'd say, since you got your luggage back after 2 days and it was not permanently lost, your deal is not bad at all. It seems that jsut having a missed connection would earn you no extra compensation in most cases. With the 15,000 miles and your flight to Spain, you should have enough miles for a free trip within the US.

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Rex

I agree - - not generous, not bad, but okay.

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Ed

I'd say their compensation is reasonably generous. Yes you had a bad experience, but you're hardly entitled to a refund. The 15,000 miles (total 30,000) has a significant value. Arguably in the neighborhood of a couple of hundred dollars, or more.

twenj

Old May 14th, 2001, 11:46 AM
wes fowler

Frequent flier miles are traditionally valued at $0.02 per mile. With 30,000 miles in hand, you've essentially received something worth $600.00 which seems to be a fair offer.

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:51 PM
elvira

You did well, Gail. We had the flights from h e double hockey sticks when AMR had it's "work slowdown" a few years ago. All we got was a snotty attitude from the gate agents and snide comments from the flight attendants when we took their offer for free Champagne.

Old May 14th, 2001, 02:31 PM
John

I believe you got a very good offer of compensation from Continental, especially since your problems with Iberia (a partner with American Airlines)are not Continental's fault.
I fly to Spain on the average twice a year via Continental thru Newark and have always been treated quite well (while on bargain priced tickets). Once the Madrid to Newark flight was postponed to the next day because of an equipment problem & everyone who had been standing by to board was given meal,local transportation, & hotel vouchers!
Because of unpredictable weather , air traffic, and mechanical problems no airline can always provide a "perfect" trip, nor are they obligated to compensate international passengers because of it.
The main point here, as I see it, is that Continental did respond positively to your inconveniences.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree with the previous posters and would characterize the offer as decent. If you look at the contract for carriage, you will find that it offers plenty of protection for airlines and Continental is doing more than it would be required to do in terms of settling this. I'm sure there were many positive aspects to your trip and although you obviously found Continental's service to be wanting, it was not without value. The compensation being offered seems like fair recompense, in view of the fact that what happened can't be undone at this point anyway and it should have had no significant long-term impact on your well-being in any event.

Old May 14th, 2001, 05:23 PM
gail

Thanks to you all for taking the time to respond. I don't have a feel for what FF miles are worth -- just joined Continental's ff program earlier this year. I sent their customer service dept a very detailed and factual letter and asked for some form of compensation. Not looking to get rich, just wanted acknowledgement that the service provided left a lot to be desired. Thanks to your input, I feel that has been accomplished.
Muchas gracias.

Old May 14th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Howard

As a postscript, Gail, based on my experience you will usually find personnel at both Continental and One Pass to be very pleasant, cordial and helpful.

Old May 14th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Susan

We had a nightmarish flight from Toronto to Sydney, Australia in 1996. Without going into a lot of detail, I'll just say that it took 48 hours for us to get there!!! Canadian Air gave us 3000 FF miles and that was after 2 letters of complaint from me.

15,000 sounds pretty good. And actually with Air Canada Aeroplan (which is the program I belong to), that would take you on a 'short haul flight' (Toronto to Chicago, that kind of thing). I'd would have been happy with that!!

Old May 14th, 2001, 08:20 PM
StCirq

My inclination was to say you got a pretty good deal. On the other hand, on the way back from Charleston, SC, last weekend to DC, I was astounded to hear the announcement that they were offering $750 and a free ticket to anyone who would forfeit a seat on a USAir flight from Charleston to Houston. TX. That wasn't our flight, so it didn't matter, but the amount seemed amazing to me - most I've ever heard of. If I'd been booked to Texas, I'd've grabbed that opportunity.

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Mike

Tell 'em to make it 15,000 FFr and they've got a deal ...