What neighborhood to stay in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between staying near the Termini, Coliseum or Trastevere neighborhoods. I will be in Rome for 4 nights and plan on a day trip to Capri via the train. I also want to see the historical sights, visit the Vatican, etc. Which is the most centrally located?

thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM
J62

None of these is centrally located. What is it that's drawing you to those neighborhoods?
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 07:40 PM

Is it your first trip to Rome? If so, and you plan on seeing the Coliseum and Foro Romano, you might save some time by being within walking distance. Of course, then you will have a bit further to go to get to the Vatican, etc.

I'd figure out where you'll be spending most of your time first, then look at a map of the neighborhoods (sestiere) and decide.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 08:07 PM

I've only been to Rome once, but I stayed in the old Jewish Ghetto which is in the historic centre (but not right in the thick of it) and just across the river from Trastevere. I loved the area and it was fairly quite at night. From there it was an easy walk to the Coliseum and an easy bus ride to Termini.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 08:36 PM

I think that there is such a difference in the "flavor" of the various neighbohoods in Rome and that would dictate my decision. It is such a walkable city with a good bus system so you will be able to get around easily. Personally I would vote for old city charm over just a convenient location for touring.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 09:00 PM

We stayed close to Termini. I don't think it really matters where you stay as far as getting around. The busses are easy to catch and you see more if you get out and walk around the city. We were told that the Termini area was not safe but we did not have any trouble anywhere but the one time we rode the subway. One boy tried to pick my pocket and I really didn't fill to safe on the subway.
Old Apr 9th, 2010, 11:38 PM

I would opt for Trastevere....as for a "day" trip to capri...I would advise against it.....you will spend almost all of your day transiting to and from capri and be exhausted not to mention not having time enough to see anything on capri. Capri is about a 45 min. hydrofoil ride from Naples waterfront itself...combine it with the hour 25 min or so train to Naples ...then the bus/taxi to the waterfront etc etc. it is just NOT time effective to day trip from Rome to Capri. From Sorrento Positano Napoli yes....but Rome NO.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

What neighborhood is the most centrally located? I considered staying in the Trastevere but it seems far from the train station for when I want to take day trips and not the most convenient for getting to the historical sights. How far is the Trastevere from the historical sights? I'm not looking to take the subway as I've heard it's pretty horrible. I'd stick to buses and taxis. Also, I am taking a day trip to Capri.. I know it is long but I've done that sort of thing before and I only have 4 days in southern Italy so I will make it work, despite the long/tiring day. I want to see Capri and that's that.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Trastevere is a big area. The part right across the Tiber near the Isola Tiberina is very near the ghetto neighborhood described by Apres_Londee where my family also stayed a few years ago. It is an easy walk from there to either the Forum/Colosseum area or to the Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon)/Piazza Navona area or Campo de' Fiori.

Other parts of Trastevere are linked by Tram #8 to the Largo Argentina which is a very central transit hub. There are also convenient buses to the Vatican.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:31 AM

the best advice you got was to actually look at a map.

You ask about centrally located in Rome, people have given you advice, but then you state you want to be near Termini for all your day trips. Seems like that's that.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 05:38 AM

This is a good (if very long) thread on the pros and cons of different neighborhoods
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...odistricts.cfm