Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What message boards are comparable to Fodors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Joe

I enjoy the useful information here and have shared it with friends. I am often asked if this is the only message board of this kind. To be honest, I have no idea but I doubt it. Anyone have any recommendations of comparable sites?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:32 PM
S

I like eurotrip.com. The crowd that hangs out there sounds younger and more budget-conscious. I like the way the forums are organized, and that the moderators actually do something.<BR><BR>Lonely planet's Thron Tree is also full of good advice.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Rex

I would agree that lonelyplanet Thorn Tree is a distant second to this site. The truth is, nothing else comes close.<BR><BR>There is some merit to the forum on virtualtourist.com - - I posted something about it just earlier today.<BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Julia

I have been reading this board for a couple of years now and still find it to be the very best. The Thorn Tree and Eurotrip are both younger and therefore don't have recommendations for higher-end hotels and restaurants that I'm mostly interested in. I very much miss the regular posters that used to make this forum so wonderful (Elvira, Capo, Beth Anderson, Kavey, et al.) It is truly sad that they are gone and that trolls are becoming more and more prevalent, but it's still the I've ever found. I've learned to ignore the trolls.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:12 PM
xxx

Check out joining the travelzine group.<BR>www.thetravelzine.com

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Julie

Some people like the AOL travel boards. I haven't used them in quite a while since I no longer have AOL, but if you have an account you might check their boards out.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Joe

Thanks for the replies. We would be ineterested in more the higher end travel (as Julia mentioned). <BR>I have noticed a lot of inappropriate postings on this site, more like an insult match than trying to help or get help. How did it come to this?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:42 PM
francophile

If you're a France traveler, be sure to check out the Francophile Forum on Delphi.com. It's a high-end discussion group that doesn't brook any nonsense.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Lucy

Tried www.Delphi.com and it was not a sight on travel.Any suggestions?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Rex

Here's the francophile forum on Delphi:<BR><BR>http://forums.delphiforums.com/PBProvence/start<BR><BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:35 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

There are none quite as general as Fodors nor as helpful for novice travelers. However, slowtrav.com is excellent for experienced Europhiles, especially for villa rentals &amp; Italy.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:50 AM
jane

Joe wrires-- &quot;I've noticed a lot of inappropriate postings on this site, more like an insult match than trying to help or get help. How did it come to this?&quot;<BR>Can anyone answer that? <BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:34 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>There are both here. Is your beer stein half full or half empty? <BR><BR>If you look for help, you'll find plenty of help. I would say the vast majority of posts are helpful, even if only in some way. <BR><BR>Other posts are humorous or inappropriate, or not travel-related or, yes, insulting or flaming. But, in my opinion, the insults and flames are in the distinct minority.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Kate

www.ricksteves.com's graffiti board is good.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:10 AM
raisin

I've just recently discovered this board myself and have found the information and travel stories significantly helpful. A big letdown, though, is (as mentioned above) a lot of people just wanting to insult other posters. <BR><BR>I honestly have not seen as much harshness in other forums as in this one. I like checking out eurotrip.com as well since it's seems to target the budget-type, younger, backpacking-type travelers. And, they don't waste their time and energy on insults and comments without substance. <BR>Shame, shame people! <BR><BR>p.s. a site called initaly.com is a really good one. They don't have a forum but they have wonderful stories from people who have explored this beautiful country! I especially like Rosemary Torigian's stories--my favorites!!! Also, BOB THE NAVIGATOR, don't you have an article in that site too? I thought I saw your name there , or am i mistaken?

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:15 AM
yes

Yes, Bob the Navigator advertises his services there. In fact, I don't know what is the comparison of that website to this one. It is entirely commercial. No reader contributions at all, are there?<BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:30 AM
raisin

yes:<BR><BR>No, no comparison to this site...I was getting off-topic, i guess (oops!) <BR>I just wanted to add it in coz I do find it helpful for looking up specific regions and the charm of that region through the travel &quot;stories.&quot;

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 06:15 PM
kathy

www.igougo.com<BR>I have about 20 journals under guide name Kathy--you can put pictures etc and get points for postings and if people sign up and rate the postings--its by travelers for travelers.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:10 PM
here we are

Nothing compares to this site, particularly the lively crowd that gathers on this Europe forum. I occassionally consult the Trip Advisor, www.tripadvisor.com for comments on hotels, locales, etc. But overall the travel talk forum attracts an intriguing mix of loudmouths and very well informed travelers.<BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:39 PM
xxx

<BR><BR>Fodors gets my awards for:<BR><BR>. A diverse, informed, experienced, intelligent and witty group of people, even if they do seem to skew toward more expensive travel and, at times, travel snobbery. <BR><BR>. A very simple, uncluttered, and easy-to-use website design. In fact, I would say it's elegant in its simplicity, just like Google. (Note to web designers: heed Mies van der Rohe's &quot;less is more&quot; dictum.)