What Mastercard Now Covers CDW in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so my Barclay's Bank MC that is an Aer Lingus Mastercard suddenly stopped covering the CDW for car rental in Ireland. I am so angry with this card. The only reason I got it to begin with was so I could accumulate points for free travel on Aer Lingus and the CDW coverage. Now that Aer Lingus does not fly from the west coast the points are useless (it is cheaper to just book a regular flight than have to pay the taxes and fees and book a flight on another airline to the East Coast). Now I'm stuck with 42,000 points I can't use. As well, I just called to verify coverage for the CDW and found out that as of last February they no longer cover that! I would cancel now but I would lose my points (which probably doesn't matter since I can't use them anyway). So now I am going through some of the old postings to find what Mastercard still covers CDW and I can't find any. Do any of you that travel to Ireland frequently have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM

I do not think that you lose your points by canceling your card. I canceled a U.S. Airways card and I still have the points (to be used within a year).

The three "i" countries generally do not have credit card CDW coverage: Ireland, Italy and Israel.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:39 AM

AMEX doe not cover those countries either plus a few more.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:02 AM

You won't lose the points until they expire a year or two after your last activity on the card, but if you find you are unable to use the points, you may be able to donate them to a worthy cause. Several airlines have designated organizations that you can give the points to, often medical, veterans, and children's charities who give the miles to families of patients undergoing treatment away from home.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
One specific World Mastercard apparently still covers CDW in Ireland. I don't have that card myself so don't know the exact details.

If you do a search on here for World Mastercard -- and maybe a google search -- you'll find the info . . .
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM

My Citi Dividend World Elite Mastercard still covers CDW in Ireland, I think. When we went in June, Dan Dooley wanted to charge enough of a fee for waiving CDW that it was almost a wash so I opted for Dooley's coverage to save the hassle of dealing with an outside entity. So I haven't explored Mastercard to see if the coverage is still good.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:28 AM

http://ireland.activeboard.com/t4377...entals-which-/
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's replies! kayd, I will check out the points donation aspect.

Strangely, I just called the MC Assist to see if they could tell me which card would cover CDW in Ireland and found that my card does cover it. They are faxing me verification. They said I must have gotten a new person the first time I called.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 09:20 AM

We have a Citibank thank you rewards card that has the World logo on it. We called and they cover the CDW as well as if we rent through Hertz we get a discount if we book using that card.