CDW Claims overseas

Search

CDW Claims overseas

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDW Claims overseas

There have been a number of questions about CDW coverage in Ireland when renting a car. I have always used my Mastercard and have been covered. Fortunately, I have never had to use the Mastercard CDW. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has put in a CDW claim with Mastercard for accidents in Ireland (or overseas). How did it work and was it easy to do or was it a tremendous hassle? Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM
ira

Hi vi,

I don't think that MC will cover you in Ireland.

I believe that they now have compulsory insurance.

Old May 6th, 2005, 09:31 AM

My understanding is the same as Ira's.

Patrick totaled his car in Wales, and posted an explanation of what he went through. Try to find it with a search. Perhaps do it by putting in "Stu Patrick" and see what you get.

Stu Dudley
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:04 AM

ira,there are still some MasterCard Platinum/Gold cards that will cover you in Ireland.I know that my USAA Platinum covered me for CDW on my trip there last week.If you call 1-800-MCASSIST they can tell you if your card will provide coverage.
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM

My credit card would not cover the three "I": Ireland, Italy and Israel, but would cover Romania and Bulgaria. Go figure.
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:24 PM

We've never driven in Ireland, but our cc do not cover the three "I" countries. We have had damage to a number of rental cars in the UK and Italy -- nothing major, just scratches and chipped windshields. In the UK we've always been insured by our credit cards and they have been great every time. The rental company charges the card to fix the car and the cc reimburses or credits our account. We have had to file paperwork, but it's always been pretty easy and handled quickly. Neither of our cards have deductibles for insurance.

In Italy we had purchased the extra CDW so we would not have a deductible and we didn't hear anything about the van we had scratched and dented in a couple of spots. We decided to purchase the extra CDW since we were traveling with exteended family and thought that would be the easiest way to deal with something since we were splitting the cost of the rental but only one person was driving -- didn't want him to be solely responsible for damage.

We've never had a break down but popped tires have cost vacation time to repair and it's harder to get them reimbursed in our experience.