Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What kind of ID will I need when I use my credit cards?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that some people take their passports when then leave their hotels and keep them in a moneybag. Will I need to show the passport anyplace other than the airport and the hotel? When shopping, what kind of ID will I need when I pay with a credit card?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:15 AM

I have often paid for things with a CC in Europe and never been asked for any form of ID and at other times I have used my passport.

I have never attempted to use any other form of ID but that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't be accepted.

I suppose someone will post about the "rules" although I am not convinced there are any universal ones.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:19 AM

I can't ever recall being asked for some sort of ID when I used my CC in Europe. Since my card doesn't have the European chip type pin, I noticed that almost all of the merchants looked at the signatures for verification.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:26 AM

not once have I been asked to show ID in Europe when paying by credit card....however...you really should always have some form of ID on you (!) and it is required that you carry ID in some countries...so...either travel with another photo ID, or ask the hotel to return your passport to you when they are finished with it (in some places, they need it to register you as a guest) I never feel safe leaving a passport in a hotel-room anyway.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:33 AM
ira

Hi N,

I've not yet had anyone ask for ID when using CC, even though I have CID written on the back of my card.

(Well, maybe occasionally.)

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:34 AM

I've never had a hotel keep my passport, either, which goes to show you there are wide experience differences I guess.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:38 AM

I have been asked for my passport in Italy during a recent trip at all three lodgings. I think it's something new for Italy.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:51 AM

It's not new in Italy. I remember always having to give up my passport for a few hours or a day, even 20 years ago
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have never been asked for ID when using a credit card in Europe. However, perhaps if you purchase something in excess of, say, 500 euros, they might ask.
I have been asked for ID for a $5 purchase in the US.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:03 AM

I was recently asked for ID in Span using my credit card, and for charges less than 50 Euros. I used my passport
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:09 AM

kerouac nailed it. Especially for high-ticket items, the merchant wants to be damn sure he isn't going to get stuck with a chargeback from a fraudulent transaction. If he takes a sale and it turns out later that the card was stolen an hour earlier, he eats the amount.

Each merchant has a threshold value that is considered "high" for this purpose. I haven't been asked for a real passport (not a photocopy) in years - but then, it's been years since I've bought Spode or Swarovski.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:15 AM

I travel with an expired driver's license - works for ID
purposes and keeps my current license safe at home.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Technically, the merchant is "required" to verify the ID of the person using the credit card by the credit card issuer as part of the agreement between the two.

As you can see from these posts, whether or not that happens varies somewhat.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Most italian hotels will make a copy of your passport and promptly return it. Agriturismi and B&Bs sometimes keep them longer to get a copy/ write down the info.
When shopping-no ID.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:35 AM

"Technically, the merchant is "required" to verify the ID"

Cobblers.

There's not a hint of this on any of my merchants' agreements. And in Britain, there's no possible way I could check identity anyway.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No - you don't need your passport to use a cc. However - if you are claiming back your VAT, some merchants will ask for your passport to fill out the forms.

I've never been asked for a passport just to buy something - but I carry it on me, usually in a moneybelt, but just in my wallet on travel days. I won't leave it in a hotel room - but sometimes will leave it in the hotel's safe.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Flanner,

thank you for correcting my "mistaken" declaration.

Now, if we only knew what your own credentials are your statement might be more compelling.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Some major chain stores in Europe require an ID when using a non-European credit card. I've been asked several times, and use either a passport or driver's license, whatever I have on me. They've accepted both. The FNAC stores in France and Spain do this, for one place. Just assume you should have some form of official govt. ID with your photo on it. For most people, that's the driver's license if you don't have your passport.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 09:17 AM

<b>Welcome to Logic 101</b>

If 673 people say they haven't been required to produce ID to use a bank card, that doesn't prove that any particular merchant won't require it for a particular transaction.

This is the same argument as &quot;I've never been pickpocketed, so I declare that it won't happen to you.&quot;

The <u>correct</u> answer to &quot;When shopping, what kind of ID will I need when I pay with a credit card?&quot; is: maybe none, maybe a driver's license, maybe a passport, depending on where you're shopping, how much you're spending, and how much chargeback the merchant has eaten in the past month.

Wise up, people. You're arguing with anecdotal evidence.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:08 AM

&quot;Wise up, people. You're arguing with anecdotal evidence.&quot;

Alas,that is true. But, much of Fodor's advice is just that. If the advice is misused then there's a logical fallacy.
When you look at the entire mix of answers here, I think you could say that they indicate that the statistical evidence says most likely no ID needed. However, there seems to be some limited exceptions.

IMHO, the evidence shows that your answer may cover the USA as well as Italy. Which logically isn't what the poster was asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -