What is Viareggio really like????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to go to italy for a week to relax by a beach. It was recommened to us to stay here. What is Viareggio really like??? I have been hearing mixed reviews. Is it dirty run down??? or upscale??? We are open to staying someone where else. A sandy beach, great hotel, shopping and fine dining a must. Please help!!!
Victoria
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Any information would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Do you insist on a sandy beach? I don't think Viareggio has that much charm... not dirty and run down, or anything awful... just sort of pedestrian beach resort. It can be very crowded at certain times. When are you planning this trip?

The problem for me with most "sandy" beach areas in Italy, either the Versillia Coast in Tuscany, or the Adriatic Coast, is that they seem to have the least charming towns. Or less charming towns...

My preferred area is the Italian Riviera around Portofino and Santa Margherita. Great shops in SML, wonderful food, and really nice hotels. No sandy beaches, though.

The same can be said for the Amalfi Coast: great hotels, nice shopping, wonderful food, but no sandy beaches.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Forte dei Marmi is a Versilia resort said to be a "quiet, discreet upper-class" resort frequented mainly by Italians.

I suspect that this might translate to "boring", but I have no way of knowing, never having been there.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:46 AM

I'd say Viareggio is pretty much like Eloise's description of Forte dei Marmi. Fairly elegant 19th century buildings, a few posh clothes shops, not much else. Fairly uninteresting, flat countryside around. Beaches. Mind you I've only visited it in June, before the Italian holidays really get going (at the start of July), so I don't know what it's like when it's busy. I think I'd find it boring to stay there.

What time of year are you talking about ? Where are you planning to fly to and is that a given ?
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. This is for my honeymoon in July. I was looking for
a beautiful upscale resort area and a great hotel. I have travelled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii. I want to spend my honeymoon in Italy but I really do not want to tour. We want a beautiful location and nice town. I am opened to all suggestions.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM

"Beautiful upscale resort area and a great hotel" generally means the Amalfi Coast in Italy. But no sand beaches...

Or, in Sardinia, you can hang out with the Aga Khan (although I'm not entirely sure he still owns a resort there...) on the Costa Smeralda. Upscale and sand beaches.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Victoria, you do not want Viareggio, which is more like the Jersey shore. If you want nice upscale resorts that deserve a week then I can suggest these. The sandy beach will be your problem.
Positano--Amalfi coast
Santa Margherita--Ligurian Riviera
Taormina, Sicily

All 3 have numerous good hotel choices.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I will check out the good suggestions.