Reload this Page >

What is there to see in Scotland now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 02:41 PM
tomika

Is it worth travelling all the way over to Scotland if half of it is shut due to the foot and mouth? I really want to see the place but don't know if a lot of it is still open?

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:19 PM
JOdy

FMm is just about eradicated. The cities have no problems, Edinburgh is way at the top of my list of must see places. Try this link for great weekly emails,http://www.travelscotland.co.uk/. <BR>FM is not communicable to humans so what is your worry, most tourist attractions are open, in fact in Scotland almost all. go and enjoy. You could get killed crossing a street more likely then getting mad cow, autumn in Edinburgh is enervating . Maybe Mel will respond, she has lots of info and really likes to share.

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Mel

Funny you should ask, Jody. I just got back on and clicked this one open immediately! Scotland (and most of the UK at this point) is doing fine and nothing is closed due to F&M (Sheila--my info is a few days old, please correct me if I'm wrong). Regardless, half of Scotland is worth all of many other places! And, if EVERY green spot in Scotland were closed to the public, I'd still go, settle in front of a fire in a local, order a Drumbuie and enjoy talking to the friendliest people on earth.

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:21 PM
D.B.

Nothing, now that Tony's gone. <BR>

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Jody

Hey Mel, <BR>Make that a Laphroaig and I'll jin you.

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Jody

SORRY THAT'S JOIN NOT JIN , JIN IS ANOTHER COUNTRY SLIGHTLY TO THE SOUTH !!!!

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Mel

Jody: <BR>I'll buy! <BR>Mel

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Lauren

Scotland is one of my favorite places--especially during the Festivals in August. <BR> <BR>In Edinburgh, do not miss the Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood House and the Museum of Scotland. There is great shopping on Prince's Street. Jenner's Department Store is right out of "Our You Being Served". <BR> <BR>Leaving Edinburgh, you will find castles everywhere. Take your pick of which ones you want to see. My personal favorite is probably Stirling. <BR> <BR>By the way, the food in Scotland is first rate--much better than London. Have fun!

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Tony Hughes

Thanks DB! (I'll be back in late may) <BR> <BR>Assume this is a troll, nothing like 'half' a country shut, it's not Epcot remember. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old May 5th, 2001, 02:02 AM
Sheila

Well, most of us is open. Some rural sites are still closed. But I have abetter idea. This evening an American Fodorite of your acquaintance is arriving to spend a couple of nights. <BR> <BR>I'll get her to answer and say what she's been doing for the last 10 days. OK?

Old May 5th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Food for thought

They've improved their culinary techniques, have they? When I was last there they boiled vegetables into submission before serving them.

Old May 5th, 2001, 09:41 AM
tomika

thanks for all the advice! by the way ,it was a serious question. Over here the news is showing some terribe scenes. I know blair is trying to say its getting better but even WE know there's an election coming up!!!

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Hans

The Scottish people. The Scottish language. Try Oban and Iona and Mull Hans

Old May 5th, 2001, 02:51 PM
dr. betty

Excuse me, but I AM having a great time here in Scotland. Yes, me and Mr. Dr. Betty are having a grand time. We are in Awe of the Lochs and totally barking; THE people for one thing are very friendly, in a way it is like being home, the beauty of this country is astounding, it will make you cry. Tomika, the place is open, there is everything to see. Foot and mouth is a crock. It may be here amongst the cattle, but certainly civilized life is at its very best. <BR>slainte mhath <BR>(pronounced slanje var) <BR>Dr. Betty <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 5th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Sheila

I'd like to do a translation of this but I'm not certainI'm any more sober thans he is. <BR> <BR>However, I think the gist is that this is a nice place, it's not closed and you'd like it

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Dave

We have plans to go to Scotland and Wales in August. Can anyone tell me if any of the following places are open or closed now? (I know that conditions may change by August, and try as I may, I can't find information on these specific sites on the web.) <BR> <BR>1- Skara Brae, Kirkwall, Orkney Islands; <BR>2- Jarshof, Lerwick, Shetlands; <BR>3- Callanish stones, Lewis, Hebrides; <BR>4- Fingal's cave, Staffa, Hebrides; <BR>5- Caernarvon Castle, Hollyhead, Wales; <BR> <BR>Many thanks if you can help.

Old May 7th, 2001, 02:15 AM
frank

1 to 4 are open, don't know about 5. <BR>Only a small part of Scotland is restricted, near the border.Callanish is by the roadside, you don't cross farmland.Orkney & Shetland are out of the picture as rfar as F&M are concerned.Perhaps you shoukd visit the stones at Kilmartin too!(dunadd, north of lochgilphead) <BR>All the the cattle & sheep reappeared round here (near Glasgow) a week ago & the situation should be back to normal by the time you arrive. <BR>Some landowners have been using F&M as an excuse to shut off footpaths (rights-of-way across their land) but these signs are coming down now.