Reload this Page >

What is there to do in Nicosia, Cyprus

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:47 PM
marina

I will attend a conference in November in Nicosia, Cyprus, but will have 4 days free to be a "tourist." Can you suggest what I might want to see or do while I'm there, if you have been there and enjoyed it?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:07 PM
Dallas

Marina, here is a picture website for Nicosia, Cyprus. Looks like they have lots of interesting things to see. http://www.hallman.org/hallman/cyprus/cyprus.html

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:36 PM
Sheila

Hi Marina<BR><BR>I've only ever done a day trip to Nicosia, but things I would do would include walking round the outside of the Green Line to get a feel for the divided city; the statue of Black Mak (Archbishop Makarios) near the Famagusta gate; the area called Laiki Yiounia for shops and cafes; Cyprus Museum for the archaeology; visit some of the old houses of the pashas and see how they lived.<BR><BR>Tho' we didn't do it because we didn't have time, yo should get one of the day passes to cross to Northern Cyprus and maybe go as far as Kyrenia.<BR><BR>You have to know a little about the history of the island to fully understand what you're seeing. <BR><BR>Another good website is http://www.cosmosnet.net/azias/cyprus/c-tour.html<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Kim

First of all, you will love Cyprus and the Cypriot people. The Cypriots are friendly and eager to assist visitors to their country. They are very proud of their country. Also, most people speak very good English. Most road signs are in English and Greek. <BR><BR>In Nicosia, you will certainly want to visit the Famagusta Gate and you will want to eat at a restaurant with a traditional Cyprus meze (I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, but it was recommended by everyone we met). I would think twice before crossing the demarkation line. Shopping is great on the market streets in Nicosia - great tailors and jewelry.<BR><BR>Since you have four days as a tourist, you must rent a car and tour out of Nicosia (roads are easy to navigate, they drive on the left side). The countryside is gorgeous! Spend a day at Agia Napa (the most beautiful beach I've ever seen). Take a day (start early) and drive into the Troodos Mountains (there's a little tourist market at the base of Mount Olympus for fun and economic souvenirs). There are amazing churches and monasteries in this region. You can also purchase hand made lace from little ladies with white hair, wearing black that are making the lace while sitting on the sidewalk. Possibly have lunch in Pafos, visit the house of Dionysos to see the amazing mosaics, also there is a column known as St. Paul's Pillar wheere St. Paul was tied and scourged. On from Pafos, you can visit Aphrodite's Rock and pick up the A-1 back into Nicosia.<BR><BR>If you only do one thing when touring outside of Nicosia, visit the ruins at Kourion - the most spectacular archaeological site I've ever seen. The views here are also breathtaking.<BR><BR>Since you are attending Cyprus for a conference, you are probably staying at the Nicosia Hilton (right?). If so, you will find all of the staff very helpful.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Kim

Marina, Did you return to the site to view the postings? If so, I just wanted to wish you a great trip to a beautiful country!