Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what is the correct way to pronounce Budapest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:23 PM
pronounce help

I hear people say<BR><BR>Budapesht<BR><BR>is that more correct?<BR><BR>I have also heard people pronounce Istanbul<BR><BR>Ishtanbul<BR><BR>is this ok? or not..<BR><BR>many thanks

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:33 PM
jahoulih

/budapesht/ is how it's pronounced in Hungarian, but I'm not sure it makes any more sense to say it that way in English than it would to say /paree/ instead of /paris/. /ishtanbul/ is not correct in either English or Turkish.

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:33 PM
mark

In Hungarian "s" has a "sh" sound.<BR><BR>Budapesht is correct.<BR><BR>Don't know about Istanbul.

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Patrick

After visiting Seville, I sometimes would mention that city and have someone say, "you mean, Suh-vee-yah". I've known English speaking people to talk about what they did in "Paree". All of these seem like rather strange affectations. To me, if you are American or if you speak English, when you are speaking English you pronounce the name of the city in English. So why would you say "Budaphest" just because that's how it's pronounced in the native language?

Old May 5th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Harzer

Patrick!<BR><BR>Your point of view is fine provided you don't expect foreign people to pronounce American place names the way you do.

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:07 AM
QED

For starters, how about Tucson, AZ; Worcester, MA; La Jolla, CA?

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Silvia

Budapesht is how the hungarians say it. <BR>Regards from Vienna<BR>Silvia

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Patrick

You are right, Harzer. I live in Naples, Florida and we get a lot of Italian visitors here. When they are speaking Italian I usually hear them call our town Napoli, which is fine with me. But when they are speaking English, they usually change to "Naples". Same thing for us. If I'm in Paris and speaking in French I'd probably say "Paree", but if I'm speaking in English, why would I pick out that one word and say it "in French"?

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Anna

Patrick, I agree with you one hundred percent.

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Wayne

I think Silvia might be able to confirm this, but when I was in Hungary I heard the city pronounced Bood-ah'-pesht with the accent on the "ah" sound.

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:47 AM
jahoulih

I believe stress in Hungarian is always on the first syllable.