Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to get from London to Bayeux in Normandy?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:34 PM
want to go to DD beaches

Okay, I really do need help with this. What is the best way to get from London to Bayeux? If you take the Channel Tunnel you have to change stations in Paris and then spend another 90 minutes up to Bayeux. The whole trip takes six hours. What ferry/train combination would be best? I would be most grateful for your suggestions.I know you can get off the Eurostar in Calais but then what?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Rex

Fly ryanair.com to Dinard, then rent a car.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Ben Haines

Brittany ferries, http://www.brittany-ferries.com/ sail from Portsmouth at 2230 to Ouistreham, west of Caen, at 0730. 30 kilometers south west of Ouistreham is Bayeaux. You can reach it by bus to Caen station, then train, or probably by direct bus or taxi. Trains with a refreshment trolley leave London Waterloo at 2000 and reach Portsmouth Harbour at 2134. Or if you leave an hour earlier you can dine in Portsmouth, perhaps at the Lemon Sole, 123 High Street, Old Portsmouth, PO1 2HW, tel: 02392 811303.

Ben Haines, London

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 04:37 AM
xxx

Has anyone ever done either of these personally? Comfort? Time comparison, door to door?

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Any

Any one?

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Ben Haines

If the enquirer looks up the web sites for Brittany ferries and Ryanair he or she can calculate the time door to door. From the London door to Stansted in time for check-in 2 hours early is 3 hours. From Dinard by hire car to Bayeaux is an hpour.

From the London door to Waterloo is 30 minutes. Then times are as I gave them. From Ouistreeham to Bayeaux by hire car is an hour.

I think the arithmetic is easy enough, but if the enquirer has problems I shall be glad to help further.

Trains from London to Stansted ant to Portsmouth offer equal lwevels of comnforet. A boat berth overnight is clearly more comfirtable but slower than a seat on Ryanair. The hire cars are of much the same quality from Ouistreham and from Dinard, and so are the bus connections.

Ben Haines

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Betsy

Dear Want:

In June of 2000 my family left London on a train to Dover. London was in the middle of a huge heatwave. We took a ferry over to Calais, inhaled the cool air, picked up our AutoEurope (www.autoeurope) rental car right at the dock, and drove south to Bayeux. An easy and enjoyable day.

Watch out for the toll booths near Calais along the autoroute! The ticket windows are on the right hand (passenger) side. We figured this must be for British travelers who arrive on the ferry with their right hand drive cars. We sat in a toll booth for several seconds looking to the left for the ticket to pop out. I am not making this up!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Rex

Now an even better choiceis available (not sure how newe this is, exactly)

www.buzzaway.com has 3 x weekly service London (stanstead) to Caen (Carpiquet) for fares as low as 16.95 GBP. mioght or might not work for your timetable needs - - but a good "day" trip (overnighter actually) could be made form the Sunday night departure (20:20, arrive 22:20) and Monday night return (22:20, arrive 22:20).

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Geoff Hamer

I've used Brittany Ferries' overnight service from Portsmouth to Caen many times when travelling southwards from London. Any alternative daytime journey will take the best part of a day, especially with the hour's time difference between the UK and France. It's an easy train journey to Portsmouth, then a bus or taxi to the ferry terminal. I'd book a cabin with a shower and toilet. In the morning, there is a tourist office open in the ferry terminal who can help with connections, but there is a bus to Caen from where it's a 20-minute train journey to Bayeux. The old town centre and tapestry are within ten minutes' walk of the station. Bayeux is an attractive old town as it was not damaged in the second world war.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:02 AM
up

to the top