What Is Limit on ATM Machines.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:25 AM
Dallas, Texas

What Is Limit on ATM Machines.

I've never used ATMs before, but am planning to use them in Wales in September. Can someone tell what is the maximum you can withdraw at one time. Thanks.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:26 AM
Marc David Miller

Call your bank (different banks have differing limits); don't forget to say that you will be overseas.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:40 AM
Dallas, Texas

Thanks, Marc. I figured the country where you were going would set the limit. I'll certainly call my bank.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:44 AM
banker

Most U.S. banks have a daily maximum of 200 USD that may be withdrawn from any given account. This daily maximum may be adjsuted for individual accounts at the account holder's request.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:00 AM
Ellen

I've never heard of a daily balance as lo as $200 Mine have been $300 or 500, so definitely check your own bank!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:16 AM
Rich

There are two limits . .

1. your bank will set a limit on how much can be withdrawn in any 24 hour period. You can usually influence this limit (at least at my bank . . a credit union).

2. the ATM "owners" will usually limit how much can be taken at any single withdrawal. No influence here.

My experience in the UK is that I could usually get up to 300 pounds at any single withdrawal, but that would occasionally be limited.

Enjoy Wales . . Rich

Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:30 PM
Ellen

Rich, your comment about "in any 24-hour period" reminds me of another ATM quirk/caveat: IIRC, the period in question is actually per BANKING DAY and the hours in question are for the home bank. So if you take out the max one afternoon, you won't be able to get money the next AM, because your bank in the US hasn't opened (i.e., started a new banking day) yet. I've also been told that some banks count the "day" the other way -- from closing time one day til closing time the next.

Likewise, the weekend functions as part of Friday -- you can only go up to your max from the time your home bank opens on Friday morning until it opens again on Monday (or even on Tuesday, if Monday's a holiday).

Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:26 PM
Rich

Now that I think about it, Ellen is right . . it is a banking day and it is measured in your banks time zone. . not the one where you are using the card I got caught out on that one once in London and had to use a credit card to get pounds . . not the most economic way. . but as a back-up, it got me out of a scrape.

Rich