Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is in Ancona, Italy (on way to Split, Croatia)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodor Friends!

So I've read the other posts about taking ferries from Ancona to Split. Now I am curious to know what Ancona is like. Is there anything to do there? I will be getting a train from Venezia to Ancona, and then hoping to move onto Split.

Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Ancona has a few sights but it's one of the less interesting Italian cities. If you're travelling by train from Venezia, I'd spend more time there or break the train journey in Bologna (for lunch perhaps).
Ancona Centrale railway station is a bus (or taxi) ride from the city centre and the port. Buses stop outside the station; tickets must be bought in advance, from the tobacconist in the station.
The Stazione Marittima is close to the city centre, and less than five minutes walk from the bus stop. There is a left luggage office (with limited opening hours), and several cafés and bars nearby.
Overnight ferries to Croatia are run by Blue Line and Jadrolinija (www.blueline-ferries.com and www.jadrolinija.hr). Jadrolinija tickets can be booked through the Ancona agent, Captain Amatori (www.amatori.com).
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 03:54 AM

There are quite a few designer fashion outlets in the area; not sure if that would be of interest to you..

http://www.holidayinmarche.com/outlets.html
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Bologna is a great idea! Thanks Geoff. We will probably just breeze through Ancona. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

And yes, fashion outlets are definitely a priority, Le Marche here we come!

Aloha!
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM

We had a cruise stop in Ancona, and did a self guided historrical walking tour we got from the TO rep who came on board in the morning. We enjoyed it very much.

One of our favorite stories involved getting lost in Ancona. My husband asked a woman, about 35 I'd say, if she spoke English, because he wanted to ask her to show us where we were on the map we carried. She said "No", but that didn't stop my intrepid husband. She did speak a little English, and she told us to walk two blocks and turn right--mostly in pantomime. We thanked her, and headed off, following her directions. We got about a block before we looked at each other and asked ourselves, "I wonder where she gave us directions to?" It made us laugh so hard, we had to lean up against a building.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Followup question: I'd like to hear the experience of anyone who has taken a ferry Ancona to Split.
Which line/which ship.
Were you able to get a discount? (We're seniors and BlueLine is supposed to have discount for seniors and for advance on-line booking, but this is not easily brought down to the bottom line for an on line reservation)

Cabins: we're thinking about using one without a toilet. For any who have shared the ship's down the hall facilities, please cite experience.

Food aboard: quality? price/

Any other hints?

Thank. Ted
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:37 PM

I've sailed in both Blue Line's ships and those of Jadrolinija.
I'm not entitled to a senior discount, but Blue Line's booking system gives the discount if you enter "senior" instead of "adult"; there is no senior discount at peak weekends.
I would normally choose a cabin with a WC, but the toilets on Croatian ferries are generally kept clean in my experience. The cheaper cabins may be on the ships' lower decks, reached by flights of stairs.
The food in the ships' restaurants is OK. When I sailed on Blue Line's ANCONA, there was a pianist playing in the restaurant. Jadrolinija normally does a set menu as well as à la carte.