Search

what is humid?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is humid?

This question may be silly, but I am checking out the relative humidity in different parts of France. What percentage would be considered high humidity in general , 50%, 60% or more? I saw in a city there was a 98% relative humidity, would that not be rain at that point?
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:04 PM

I tend to notice humidity when it climbs above 60%. That's me.
I believe it doesn't have to rain until the % is 100. That's as much water as the air can hold. I think.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:14 PM
KT

I'm far from being a scientist, but...

Whether or not it rains depends upon the relative humidity at cloud level, not what it is down here.

In general, relative humidity of about 45% is considered to be the most comfortable for people.

Since relative humidity can make you fell hotter, the same level of humidity can be more annoying at higher temperatures, when it can increase the heat past the comfort level.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:18 PM
ron

Humidex ratings are essential elements of weather reporting in the summer in certain parts of Canada, <It is not the heat, it is the humidity.> (Just like wind chill factors are in the winter, <it is not the cold, it is the wind>.) Humidex attempts to measure the discomfort of combined temperature and humidity. You can see a chart at http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/humidex.html
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:20 PM

sirod:

" I saw in a city there was a 98% relative humidity, would that not be rain at that point?"

Well, no. Relative Humidity is basically the amount of water vapor in the air at any given time for a specific temperature. For example, if your weatherman says, "It's 95 degrees (F) with a relative humidity of 75%." What he's saying is that the air has 75% of the water molecules it can hold at 95 degrees before it becomes totally saturated." The warmer the air is, the more water it can hold . . . and vice versa. So all 98% relative humidity means is that, at that temperature, the air is 98% saturated. Humidity will, by the way, vary, just like temperature. Just because it you have 98% humidity on one day, doesn't mean you will have it the next.

To answer the more important part of your question, the higher the humidity and the heat, the worse it feels to the human body. 98% humidity is pretty darn humid. Depending on the temperature, you'd definitely feel 50-60% humidity and if it were hot, you'd feel downright miserable with 98%.

Hope this helps,
Jennie
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Having lived in Miami for 20 years, I can definitely vouch for this. 95 degrees at 98% humidity (the norm May through September in Miami) is absolutely miserable without A/C. Humidity changes with the season, the time of day, the heat, and the location. Distance from the ocean affects it, as does surrounding weather.

I would say (being used to the higher amount) that 70% humidity is comfortable in the summer, but most people prefer it lower. I'm used to breathing in a sauna!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Yet another way of measuring the humidity is the "dew point," which is the temperature at which dew (i.e., condensation) will form. A dew point above 60 or 70 degrees is "sticky," regardless of the actual ambient temperature. The dew point can't be higher than the air temp.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Intrepid

I think I may have an easier way of "measuring" humidity for you..when you're in France, in bed, at night, and the sheets are sticking to you and it isn't because you are having a good time (with somebody) THAT's humid and that's also when you'll wish you had booked that hotel that has air conditioning.

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:32 PM

When it is humid (the air is wet) so the dampness on your skin does not evaporate and you feel warm and sticky.
When it is dry, the sweat will evaporate and you will feel the humidity less..or something like that~
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:24 PM

100% humidity doesn't mean rain. The humidity can be much less than 100% while it is raining. As Jennie mentioned the humidity is the amount of water the air can hold at a given temperature. To extend that a little further as the temperature drops and the air is capable of holding less water when the humidity gets to 100% you get fog, not rain.
I'm one of those people that starts to get uncomfortable very quickly because of the humidity but I normally watch the dew point or wet bulb temperature and the expected high temperature to get an indication of my level of discomfort.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:42 PM
ira

Hi sirod,

Mildew can grow when the humidity is above 65% at temperatures from 10 to 90 F.

To me, that means it is too humid.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:31 PM

Humid is when you walk outside into what feels like a blast furnace.
Humid is when the steam comes up from the pavement, enveloping you like an invisible, heavy, wet blanket.
Humid is when you can"t breathe because the air is too thick.
Humid is when you go outside you cant see because your sunglasses have fogged up from being inside the A/C.
Humid is when you instantly start sweating because you're simply outside.
Humid is 89F when it's 3am and even the frogs are too hot to croak.

Humid is Florida, but ya gotta love the winters!!

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!