What is Happening in Groningen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 12 days left on my home exchange in Amsterdam and have pretty much exhausted of places to in the environs of Amsterdam. I saw that Groningen has an excellent art museum. What else is happening there. Is it worth a long day trip?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I'm Dutch, and have to admit that I have never been there. It is a very long trip. Antwerp would be closer to Amsterdam, and a good place to spend a day or so. Friends who know Groningen say it is a very pleasant place, great art museum. Have you thought about the Veluwe national park; there is a very good museum there too (the Kroller Moller). Not as far as Groningen.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:00 AM

I agree about the Kroller Muller museum--we visited it while on a Holland tour. I bought a tote bag with the name on it and it has been the source of interesting conversations--one with a woman who now lives in SF but had woked there a number of years ago. (The "o" and the "u" need two dots above them, but haven't figured that one out yet.) That museum has a number of VanGough paintings--think it is 2nd to the # in the Amsterdam museum. It has an interesting outside collection of artistic "shapes" too. mhm
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:06 PM
abp

When I lived in The Netherlands....many years ago they had a great market and "red light" district. What have your done in the Amsterdam area?
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I lived in Groningen for 6 years as a student and I would definitely recommend going there. It is about 2 1/2 hours by direct train from Amsterdam, so easily do-able in a day trip. The Groninger museum (just opposite the railway station)
http://www.rnw.nl/culture/html/groningen020220.html

is indeed excellent and there is enough interesting architecture in teh city for a nice 2 hour walk. Climb the Martini tower for a good overview, visit the University (Academie Gebouw in Broersstraat), visit de Korenbeurs and the Martini Kerkhof.
Groningen has excellent bars and restaurants and the youngest population in the Netherlands (loads of students) Have fun!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your great, prompt and detailed responses. This is my third trip to Amsterdam, and I still haven't gotten it all in. Today, I did a walking trip through Jordaan, on a bright, warm day. It is beautiful, I can see why the Dutch painters loved that clear light.

The other day I discover Nemo and the Maritime Museum which included a boat ride on a chugging steam boat. The funnel had to be lowered and it was done by hand. Sorry, just musing.
I have been to Delft, Gouda, Lieden, Haarlem, Haag, and above all, Rotterdam which I thought was stunning.
I will go to Groningen if only to see the museum.

Again, you all have been a tremendous help.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:27 PM
adoptionisfab

FAMOUSUNCLEART,
What have you done lately?