Reload this Page >

What is "B.Y.O" restaurants and bars???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 04:21 AM
C.N.loaf

I understand that in many countries in Europe and Australia there are Bring you Own places? <BR>* <BR>What IS the point of bars and restaurants if you have to "bring your own"????? <BR>* <BR>Anyone know?

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 04:38 AM
Joelle

B.Y.O. is, as far as I know, a typical Australian wording to inform people that they may bring their own bottle of wine along in certain restaurants.It means that either the restaurant does not sell wine or has only a limited list available. <BR>It also means that you will pay a cheaper price for wine if you buy it yourself in a shop, compared with purchasing it from a restaurant or a bar which will charge a higher rate (profit margin) on the actual purchase price. <BR>There may be similar places in the U.K. but I am not hundred percent sure. <BR> <BR>I have not heard of such places in Europe, certainly not in France (...). Maybe such

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 05:36 AM
C.N.Loaf

I have been told it is now becomming very popular in Britain, Ireland and the Netherlands! <BR>What I cannot understand is how can these bars ("pubs"?) and restaurants make money if you are allowed to bring your own booze and presumably food as well. I understand that they charge a corking charge though. <BR>The reason I am asking is I am looking for a cheap vacation in Europe and would love to know just how extensive these places are. France is out then? <BR>

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Joelle

France is certainly "out" in terms of B.Y.O.! That's for sure. <BR>Another point is that restaurants willing to sell liquors or wines have to buy from the State a rather expensive licence... On top of that, drinking wine with your meal may not really be part of the culture in the Netherlands, Ireland, Britain, etc... <BR>Also think of the vegetarian/healthy/ <BR>organic trend which exists in the USA and some European countries. This does not fit well with wine either... <BR>B.Y.O. places may of course ask for a "corking charge", should you bring wine along, but I think that you can't bring your food along. Definitely not.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 07:42 AM
C.N.loaf

I can understand that no food could be brought to a restaurant in France which has world renown of its cuisine. <BR>BUT would you know if food really cannot be brought to BYOs in Britain Ireland or the Netherlands? I have been told that food they over there is not very good. <BR>* <BR>I believe that France is a country of wine. Would they object if one brought one's own beer?

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 10:35 AM
kate

You must be kidding. First of all, why would any restaurant, anywhere, let you bring in your own food? That's like bringing a television to a movie theater. If you want to buy your own food and drinks in England or anywhere, go ahead, but why would you take it to a restaurant to eat it? Go to a park and have a picnic. I doubt very much you could bring anything into a French restaurant. Also, all French cafés and brasseries, and many bistros, serve beer, so no, they wouldn't want you bringing your own. Keep in mind that in France, 250 ml of house wine in a budget restaurant often costs half the price of the same amount of soda or bottled water. Places that don't serve alcohol but allow you to bring it do not usually charge a corkage fee. Places that do serve it, but still allow you to bring it, do.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 11:18 AM
Patrick

We ate at some wonderful small BYOB restaurants in Australia. No, you don't take food, just wine. We found it to be a great thing, because we could buy some really great wines at a store, sometimes right next door to the restaurant or at a winery and then enjoy them with our meal. And oddly enough I don't recall any of them charging a corkage fee if they didn't sell wines, which most of them advertising as BYOB don't. On the other hand, many people do take their own wines to restaurants in Australia that also sell wine, and then there usually is a corkage fee. I'd never think of doing this in the US, although I know a lot of people do, but in Australia it is a totally accepted practice. It is a great way for a small chef owned restaurant to encourage upscale diners who enjoy good wines, without making a huge investment in stocking expensive wines.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 07:02 AM
C.N.Loaf

So it looks like Australia is a better place to go for an inexpensive vacation. <BR>Are there cheap places to eat and drink in europe then. Are there fast food hamburger places for example? would those be any good?

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 07:36 AM
kate

Yes, there are plenty of cheap places to eat in Europe (on the continent especiall); you'll probably be surprised at how far your food dollar stretches. Yes, there are fast-food hamburger places (the chains are evrywhere), and they are about the same as in the US, quality- and value-wise. That is, you'll find better of both elsewhere. If you're coming from the US, the dollar is strong and buys you a good bit in both Europe and Australia if you're careful. If you're coming from anywhere but East Asia, it costs a hell of a lot more (about twice as much) just to *get* to Australia, though.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 03:16 AM
francesca

In Munich, you can bring your own food to most biergardens, even though they sell food there. As long as you buy the drinks from them, this is considered ok.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 06:06 AM
jim

In the UK the best curry houses are often BYO - due to religious reasons (not exclusively) they don't don't serve alcohol - sometimes the 'decor' is a bit rough n'ready - but in places like these the food is often the best.