Reload this Page >

Hotels in Florence

Search

Hotels in Florence

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 09:34 AM
david

Hotels in Florence

I'm going to Florence in a few weeks. <BR>Hotel choices are either the Loggiato dei Serviti, Plaza Hotel Lucchesi, or La Residenza. I NEED ADVICE ON THE BEST PLACE TO STAY, BASED ON PROXIMITY TO THE CENTER OF ACTIVITY AND ATTRACTIONS. Please help. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>Dave

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 02:08 PM
Denise

I don't know about the other two, but we stayed at the Loggiato de Serveti last year and loved it. It was in walking distance toeverything, yet in a more quiet area(noise wise). <BR> <BR>Denise

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 02:18 PM
Walter

Hi David: Using the Piazza della Repubblica as the center of historic Florence. The Residenza (#1) is 350M, Loggiatta (#2) is 1200M, and the Lucchesi (#3) is 1500M away. But #2 is very close to the Accademia and about equal distance to the Duomo as #1 and #3 is very close to Santa Croce and about equal distance to the Uffizi and Bargello as #1 but farther from the Duomo but it is also a 4* hotel compared to the other two which are 3*. Also #3 is on the Arno so you might be able to get a room with a view? I would just choose the hotel that you like, the distances aren't much of a consideration IMO. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Maddy

I too am headed to Florence in May. I could not get reservations at any of the hotels you are considering, but I have similar dilemma. Our choices are Hotel della Signoria near the Piazza of same name or the Hotel Ritz about two ponts away on the road along the Arno, and nearer Sante Croce from what I can tell. If the walking distance to important sites shouldn't be a deciding factor, does anyone know these hotels or what it is like to get back to the one on the Arno at night? <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Frank Matthews

Last year we visited and on about 5 weeks noticed got rooms at the Hermitage. It's located about 30m <BR>from the base of the Ponte Vechio on <BR>the city side toward the gallery. <BR>It was about $200 a night. It had <BR>typical small european rooms but very <BR>well appointed. You could have breakfast on the rooftop terrace looking <BR>down on the Arno toward the Piti Palace. <BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 12:21 PM
Carol

Here's another consideration--All the hotels you named are in walking distance of all the main sights which are within walking distance of each other. However, central Florence gets so frenetic, crowded and noisy that I'd prefer to stay a 15 or 20 minute walk from the center just to be able to clear my head and reflect upon the treasures of the city. I'd go for the hotels on the Arno.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Lisa

Definitely do not agree about the Loggiato dei Serviti. Noisy, bad (hard as a rock) bed and unfriendly! There has to be better....

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 01:58 PM
kam

One of our favorites is Calzaiuoli on the street of the same name. You couldn't get a better location than this has if you want to be in the center of things.We stayed at the Lucchesi several years ago. It's a lovely hotel, but it is a bit of a hike into the center of things. Look at the Lungarno (directly across the Ponte Vecchio), the De La Ville in piazza Antinori or the Principe if you want to be on the river.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 11:35 AM
susan

I agree with others about staying on the Arno. Just stayed at the Hotel Lungarno on the Arno and I highly recommend it. From our window we could see the Ponte Vecchio. I don't know your budget but the Lungarno is a 4* and quite expensive. They own another hotel across the river called the Hotel Continental with lower rates. It is not as luxurious and the rooms are more simply appointed but for location you can't get much better. Half the fun of Florence is walking around and getting lost. These two hotels are extremely close to the Ufizzi and the Duomo...we walked everywhere and had no problems. I agree that the distances should not be the consideration, the hotel that fits your style and budget should be because everything is within walking distance in Florence.

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 06:23 AM
Maurice

I agree with Susan. We have stayed at the Hotel Lungarno in Florence many times and in our view it is the best hotel in Florence. The location on the other side of the Arno is great (away from all the noise and traffic) but right next door to the Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi, etc. The rooms have been recently renovated and are outstanding. Enjoy Florence wherever you stay. It is our favorite city in Italy.