Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what is a good type of soap to wash clothes in (travel soap)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 02:44 PM
zee

please help

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 05:20 PM
Flora

We took little packets of Woolite to Europe last summer and ran out, so we used hair shampoo and our clothes smelled cleaner than they ever had before!

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 08:01 PM
Diane

I agree with Flora. Protein based shampoos are fabulous -- especially for soaking out stains like chocolate, wine and blood. Why pack two products when one does the trick!

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 08:05 PM
Anna

I usually bring a small leakproof bottle of liquid laundry soap (like Surf), I put that inside a plastic bag in case it leaks. I prefer the scent to that of Woolite.

Old Dec 10th, 1998, 02:02 PM
Bob

I use a concentrated liquid called BIOSUDS, available from the Canadian Auto Club, and elsewhere. I don't know about the U.S., but the AAA might know. It can be used in hot and cold water, and comes in small soft tubes.

Old Dec 12th, 1998, 06:08 AM
PRJones

I used to pack a small bottle of liq. laundry det., risking leaks. Found waiting til first stop to buy some at local grocery. So,you have to throw some of it away when you leave. One thing you can take that helps hand laundry dry with fewer wrinkles are fabric softener sheets. They make your clothes smell great while traveling and you can squeeze one(or more)into your final rinse water. Works just like the liq.no fuss,no muss.Take up no room in luggage.Try to find one of those"umbrella" like clothespin dryers and an elastic travel clothesline. Also inflatable hangers are great as they separate front from back of shirt & it dries faster. Pinch clothespins with hook at the top work great & can hang anywhere.

Old Dec 13th, 1998, 09:43 AM
Kristin Lucas

I have taken dry detergent (Tide, Cheer, whatever) in a ziploc bag. It's lightweight, won't spill, and works just fine. Don't know what all the fuss is about. What am I missing here? <BR>

Old Dec 13th, 1998, 10:21 AM
bushmama

Ditto to all the shampoo users. This is the easiest solution I have found. You even get free bottles in hotels, so you don't have to carry so much around. I also like to take the individual packets of stain removers. The less fuss, the better!