Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is a good book about Scotland's history?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Micki

Can anyone give a recommendation for a good book to read about Scotland's history? I'm looking for something that gives a good overview so that when I visit there next year I'll have some background of where the country has been. <BR> <BR>I've read "Highlanders: A History of the Scottish Clans" by Fitzroy MacLean and a few novels by Nigel Tranter and a couple of biographies of Mary, Queen of Scots, but not any serious history. I did a search on the internet (Amazon.com, Barnes&Noble, etc.) and was overwhelmed with the selection. What about "Scotland: A Concise History" by Fitzroy MacLean?

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Sheila

The Maclean one is OK; as is J. D. Mackie's "History of Scotland". <BR> <BR>I've just started reading Tom Devine's new book "The Scottish Nation" and it's brilliant; but it only starts at the Act of Union (1707) <BR> <BR>I'll have alook in our local Waterstone's and see if I can see anything easily readable. You have to watch novels, for all the obvious reasons.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Tony Hughes

'The Road to Culloden Moor' by Mary Preston. Read it then weep. <BR> <BR>Tony

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 11:40 AM
JB

Hi Micki, <BR> <BR>I second the vote for T.M. Devine's _The Scottish Nation: A History_ (2000). If you want to read an interesting essay on the history of clan "kitsch," try the essay on kilts in Eric Hobsbawm and Terence Ranger, _The Invention of Tradition_. <BR> <BR>Best, <BR>JB

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 10:06 AM
KT

For social and economic history, there are two good books by T.C. Smout, but I think they're out of print: <BR> <BR>A History of the Scottish People 1560-1830 <BR>A Century of the Scottish People 1830-1950 <BR> <BR>I'm just waiting for Devine to come out in paperback: everybody seems to think it's excellent.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Sheila

KT <BR> <BR>Devine IS out in paperback. I too waited for it.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 03:45 PM
Joanna

"The Oxford Illustrated History of Scotland", or "The Lion in the North" by Prebble are a good introduction.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:17 PM
KT

Sheila -- Thanks for the news. I just checked; it's not out in paperback in the US yet. I haven't decided yet whether to wait or to order it from the UK. I should probably get it now if I want to finish it by next spring's trip, and it will also be useful for pressing flowers or keeping doors open.