Day Trip from London by Train

Sep 28th, 1999, 09:06 AM
Tom

Day Trip from London by Train

Only going a few days to London and will not have a car. What are best/most feasible trips which allow us to return to London
for lodging...Bath, Warwick Castle, Hampton Court, Cambridge? Please provide your opinions.

Sep 28th, 1999, 09:32 AM
Tammy

Tom,
When I visited London in April, my mom and I took a day trip to Bath. It is about an hour and half train ride from Paddington station. We left at 9:45am and returned on the 6:00pm train. However, I do believe that all the cities you mentioned are feasible day trips. Have a great trip.

Sep 28th, 1999, 09:43 AM
Bill Irving

We have taken a number of day trips from London during our vacations there over the years.This past June, we were there for 4 days & our 1 day trip was to Bath (We have been there before.) 1 of the closer trips is to Windsor, which you can do in a half day, including a boat trip. Greenwich is another easy close by trip. But have also been to Stonehenge, Oxford, Stratford upon Avon, Warwick, Dover, Nottingham, Salisbury,Cantebury, & even to Edinburgh although you would have to stretch that by using an overnight train. But my personal favorites for daytrips are to Portsmouth (about 1 1/2 hrs by train) for the historical ship tours & harbor tour. My other favorite is to Wales - Cardiff & Caerphilly, for the Castles, scenery & people. Cardiff is about 2 hrs by fast train. Leave at about 8am, can get to both places & be back in London for a late supper. There are more daytrips that can be taken, but these are my favorites. I use the book - Britain by Britrail, & this forum to help me determine some places I would like to visit. It is a pleasent but hard decision to make. So many places, so little time.

Sep 28th, 1999, 11:15 AM
Lori

Tom,
They are all feasible - just depends on your interests. Personally, Hampton Court is my favorite and it is fairly close (about 35 min. from Waterloo Station and you can buy your castle tickets there too saving a pound or so). You can easily spend a day out there altho you do not mention when you are going so the gardens may not be in full bloom, etc. Windsor & Eton are also very doable, likewise Bath, etc. Warwick is about 2 hrs. I believe by train from Marylebone Station. Salisbury is another option, the cathedral is quite lovely. Greenwich is nice in that you can take a boat ride dwon the Thames and the park, etc. there is really nice. It's not exactly "out in the country" but it's a nice day just the same.

Sep 28th, 1999, 12:37 PM
elaine

All of the above recommendations are good.
For Bath you can buy your tickets at Paddington station the day before you want to travel. Great Western
(www.greatwestern.co.uk) is the high speed train that services Bath from London. They offer day return tickets
starting at 15 pounds per person (1999) (with some restrictions).
As much as I love Bath, and Oxford, and Windsor Castle, and Hampton Court, if you will only have "a few" days in London and if it is your first time there, you might consider just concentrating on London and saving the day trips for next time. London is
large, complex, fascinating, and wonderful.

Sep 28th, 1999, 12:37 PM
elaine

All of the above recommendations are good.
For Bath you can buy your tickets at Paddington station the day before you want to travel. Great Western
(www.greatwestern.co.uk) is the high speed train that services Bath from London. They offer day return tickets
starting at 15 pounds per person (1999) (with some restrictions).
As much as I love Bath, and Oxford, and Windsor Castle, and Hampton Court, if you will only have "a few" days in London and if it is your first time there, you might consider just concentrating on London and saving the day trips for next time. London is
large, complex, fascinating, and wonderful.

Sep 28th, 1999, 01:32 PM
lisa

Both Bath and Cambridge are fab. If I had to choose only one I would choose Bath. Even if you only have a few days in London, I would still get out of the city for just one day -- even just riding the train through a bit of the countryside gives you a totally different take on the country. And Bath has a lot to see.

Sep 28th, 1999, 01:47 PM
Dave

Tom,

If you plan to take several day trips consider a Britrail Southeast Flexipass. A 3-day 2nd class adult ticket is only about $70US and covers most of the locations listed above (Basically everything from Cambridge-Oxford-Salisbury to the channel coast; the Southeast pass does NOT include Bath however). You can find the details at http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/uk_index.htm (Note that you have to buy the pass OUTSIDE of Britain.)

I've used Britrail passes for the past three years, and I really like the flexibility. I don't have to decide where I'm going until the last minute. In fact, I've seen several wonderful places because I was on my way to somewhere else and decided to hop off for an hour or two. Plus, if you're staying within an hour or two of London the SE Pass is an especially good bargain.

Sep 29th, 1999, 06:04 AM
kristi

Hi Tom. With only a few days in London, you might want a shorter day trip out to either Hampton Court or to Windsor. Both are approximately a 1/2 hour outside of London (trains run every 1/2 hour) and are two of my favorite places. On the day we went to Windsor, we were also able to go to several of the Saturday markets in the morning. If you do go to either of those, make sure you get a cheap day return ticket for the train as it costs only a little more than a one way ticket. Greenwich is also a good option. Someone suggested taking a boat one way and a train back but I haven't tried it that way.

Sep 30th, 1999, 10:34 AM
Roger

All the answers are right on. If I had only one trip that I could take it would be to York. A two hour trip from London. Remember one thing tho. London has several rail station, each going to different places, so be sure you know from which station to depart. Have fun.

Oct 2nd, 1999, 02:07 PM
angela

My personal favorite among the English cities is Canterbury. It's rich in history and not too small, nor too large where you will be able to squeeze in everything that it has to offer within one day. If I had to choose otherwise, I would recommend Salisbury. It has the most beautiful cathedral that I have ever seen and that church has the tallest spire in England. There's also pretty streams that run through the town allowing for a bit of countryside atmosphere. Bath is wonderful as well, but you will probably not see everything that the downtown has to offer in one day. I've been to Bath several times and every time, I see something new. If you choose Bath, be sure to have tea in the Pump Room. It's been featured in many English films and Jane Austen used to frequent there.

Aug 28th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Topper

Here is some more good info...