What is a "Brass Rubbing".

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Beverley

What is a "Brass Rubbing".

Please excuse my ignorance, but it was recomended that my kids would enjoy the brass rubbing at St Martin in the Fields Church in Trafalgar Sq. What is a brass rubbing. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 11:59 AM
wes fowler

Beverley, <BR>In medieval times primarily, many tombs were decorated with brass ornamental decorations or figures. You might find a life-sized replica of a knight in armor or mail, for example, etched into a plate that covered the grave. There are brass rubbing centers in Westminster Abbey and St. Martin's where you are supplied with a large sheet of paper and a pencil, crayon or charcoal. By placing the paper over the brass image and rubbing gently with the pencil or charcoal you'll get a replica of the image. Makes for an interesting souvenir but is a time consuming project. Depending on the size of the image being rubbed, you can easily spend two or three hours on the process.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>I made a brass rubbing there on my last trip - it is actually kinda cool, and I am no kid! <BR> <BR>There are many different sizes, and you can be as colorful as you like. I made a green dragon with purple back scales and silver and gold highlights, on a black background... maybe 11 x 14? It didn't take too long as I didn't try to fill every square inch with saturated color - a lady sitting next to me was doing a huge knight, and she was really tearing up that wax - very saturated coloring! <BR> <BR>funny note - I saw a lot of people doing this, none were kids! my one brief experience anyway...

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 12:48 PM
lyv

One of my prized possessions is two fairly large brass etchings of Lancelot and Guinivere that a friend made for me over 15 years ago while she was in London. I know it must have taken her hours to do and they are beauiful. She did them on black paper. They look wonderful in my home and I've never tired of them. <BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Beverley

Great. This definately sounds like something that the kids will enjoy. I'll add that to my itinerary.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 06:32 AM
steve

I did a brass rubbing years ago in Cambridge. It was alot of fun and was a unique souvenir. <BR> <BR>I second the idea that you do a rather small one. Mine took 2 hours or so. One girl selected a lifesize brass to do and she was going to be there all day (if not the next day too!!)

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 09:28 AM
David White

Beverley, <BR> <BR>Other people here have already described what a brass rubbing is, so let me just add a few comments. <BR> <BR>Yes, your kids will probably enjoy doing a brass rubbing. The St. Martin's center is located in the crypt below the church...very authentic atmosphere. For more info: <BR> <BR> http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org <BR> <BR>The other center is at All Hallows-By-The-Tower Church, on Byward Street, near the Tower of London (no website for this one). Unfortunately, the Westminster Abbey Brass Rubbing Centre went out of business several years ago. <BR> <BR>Hope this is helpful. For more information on traveling to London with children, feel free to look at my website: <BR> <BR> http://www.KidsToLondon.com <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>David White <BR>LET'S TAKE THE KIDS TO LONDON--A FAMILY TRAVEL GUIDE <BR>