Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is a better long weekend $250 for awekend in New York City or $500.00 for Paris?

Search

What is a better long weekend $250 for awekend in New York City or $500.00 for Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Harry

We are trying to determine what to do over the long Christmas weekend- Paris or New York City. We figure we could do New York for $250.00 for four nights using Priceline and driving or Paris for $500.00. Which would you choose? Is Paris worth the extra $250.00 and the overnight flight? Which city has better weather and Christmas lights?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 01:23 PM
demi

YOU HAVE TO ASK????????????<BR><BR>PARIS , by all means. weather is not an issue, and it is the city of lights!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 01:40 PM
troll

You've gotta be joking! <BR>$250 for four nights including driving over Christmas weekend in NYC? Even with Priceline! <BR>And where are you parking the car?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 01:48 PM
MaryC

PARIS!!! Definitely, definitely Paris.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Harry

From Harry (orginal poster) Sorry about the spelling pushed enter to soon!<BR><BR>Cost estimate for New York City (for those who doubt my cost estimates):<BR><BR>Hotel $90.00 per night Priceline times four equals $360.00<BR>Other costs $140.00 divided by two $250 a piece.<BR><BR>Paris $300 a piece Air from IAD/BWI<BR>Hotel $70.00 a night Priceline- times four nights = $280.00<BR>Plus $60.00 misc expenses $500.00 a piece<BR><BR>My questions stands which is better?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 02:54 PM
beth anderson

welllll, for starters, your misc expenses are going to MUSH.ROOM.<BR><BR>The car park alone in NYC will be 20-25 a day (unless you can park it at the hotel, even then it will likely not be free)<BR><BR>not sure where you come up with the 'other expenses" are these for food? <BR><BR>New York is cool, so is Paris. how long is your drive?<BR><BR>Beth

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 03:23 PM
paris

There really is no reason to ask this question-would anyone really have to ask which is better? <BR>PARIS PARIS PARIS PARIS

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:04 PM
still

First of all, on your New York figures: add about $13 to $15 a day for the taxes on your room. Parking the car has got to be at least $15-20 a day. That's about $60 minimum for each of you, leaving $10 for each of you for other expenses! Do tell us how you're going to eat and do things in NYC on $2.50 a day.<BR>Paris: How do you get to and from the airport wherever you're departing from?<BR>And please do tell us all how to do enjoy Paris on $15 a day, including three meals....plus other miscellaneous costs such as getting to and from the airport in France, taxes, etc., etc., etc.?<BR>I still think you're a troll, Harry....or not very bright....or both!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:09 PM
jhm

Assuming this is not a troll, I would say come to New York. Any other year, I'd pick Paris (then again, I live in NY)-- this year, New York needs you and as many tourists as possible (as do other destinations in the US). Your presence will be very much appreciated by the service industry as well as generally.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 04:16 PM
ja

I've never been to either place, but had I this choice to make with these prices (even in US$ and not our hopelessly declining Canuck bucks) I would choose - PARIS!!!!!! Just because it's PARIS!!!<BR>ja

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Patrick

Let's see -- $17 a day per person for having fun in New York. That includes transportation, all meals, entertainment, tips, taxes on the hotel, etc. No thanks, I'd rather stay home and eat leftovers out of the refrigerator. I understand the need to be thrifty for traveling but $17 a day in New York City or $15 in Paris? Since you aren't planning to pay for parking your car, the ticket or tow charge to rescue it at the end of four days would be more than that! And you could starve to death in four days with no money for food after after you pay the tax on your hotel room, equal to one person's daily total allowance of $17!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 08:46 PM
abc

I would say you're underestimating the costs of both, especially NY, but for this time of the year I would definitely choose New York. Rockefeller center is very nice this time of the year, very festive, there are lots of things you can do like plays, museums. I was in Paris at the end of November and I think this city is much better when it's warmer and you can spend more time walking outside, sitting in outdoor cafes. Shorter daylight hours cut into your sightseeing and the jetlag for a short trip is not worth it. Paris is a great city but I don't recommend this time of the year.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Christina

In Harry's defense (or an excuse in case he hadn't thought of it), perhaps his figures are simply the ones that will differ by city for his comparison, as he was assuming other costs are about the same and wouldn't affect the decision (ie, meals and entertainment will be about the same in both). That's possible, actually. That's not exactly what he said (that they could "do" NY for $250 for 4 nights), but it's a plan. ON the negative side, I think these kind of posts are silly, asking somebody else what your preferences should be on very personal matters (ie, how much you hate flying, how much time you are willing to waste flying, how bad jet lag is for you, etc). Who knows -- can't you decide for yourself? Your question isn't something anyone can answer but you. I really dont' like all these lamebrain questions about whether something is "worth it?" And why can't anyone look up weather on the internet -- sheesh!