What face mask?

Apr 12th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

What face mask?

Since I am terified ( not ) of catching SARS I am wondering which brand of face mas to wear?
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:19 PM

According to recent trends, you might want to put a sock on your face
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Kate2:
But which brand of sock? I must know because I want desperately to fit in.
Apr 12th, 2003, 08:46 PM

Fruit of the Loom. However, they are known to harbor Mediterranean fruit flies so you might not be allowed admittance back into the States.
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:47 PM

How about something fun for the whole family?

http://www.josephprep.com/BioChemical/Neoterik/images/children.jpg

Note the stylish black, perfect for that European vacation.
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:55 PM

A bra cup from the big boob size will suffice as mask. Padded is better but if it has underwire it may be uncomfortable. The string from a hoodie can be used to secure cup to head
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM

Probably a well worn smelly sock would repel more germs, but for several years of airplane germ awareness, I have successfully relied on the basic allergy-dust mask with the chic metal over-the nose- adjustment (in shades of either blue, beige or white-none of which is a good disguise)that is available in all pharmacies and most home improvement stores. It also comes in handy in dust storms, polluted cities and badly polinated environments. RX-Snap on your face at the sound of the first cough or sneeze!
Apr 12th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all.
I had contemplatated a day old smartwool sock as a shield, but my wife refuses to wear my old socks as a shield.

What am I to to do to protect her?

Apr 13th, 2003, 12:03 AM

icithecat,
just be sure not to use a white sock. It would be totally dorky.

Apr 13th, 2003, 01:02 AM

On a serious note, if anyone was really wondering, my sister says the N95 is one they use at the hospital where she works. Now back to socks...
Apr 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM

Actually, is it known exactly how SARS is spread? I have heard "droplets". So is protecting your nose and mouth enough. I am going to err on the side of caution and suggest one wear a diver's face mask. Your eyes and nose will then be protected and you can put your dirty sock under the edge of the mask to hold it in place.

Of course, I also heard that cockroaches were the culprit in that highrise apartment complex in Hong Kong. Evidentally people spit a lot over there, cockroaches lap it up, walk on counters, etc., and spread the disease. So, I would also suggest a pair of boots. How high you go depends upon the fashion statement you wish to make. Waders if you are into the fishing look.

Additionally, perhaps one should carry a can of Raid bug killer, and Clorox wipes for the hotel room. A bug bomb?

To keep personal contact to a minimum is suggest one also carry ski poles and stick them out to the side. Well, keeps snowboarders away.
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:26 AM

When I first saw the threat title, I thought, "Do they mean a sleep mask for a trip?" Then I had a mental picture of some idiot asking about using a facial mask enroute to keep their skin moisturized on the plane! haha

I'm glad to see it was a serious thread about medical advice. Since I rarely wear socks... do you think it would be ok to just strap my sandal around my head?

~ Sheryl
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Clearly the best protection would be by wearing a scuba mask and snorkel for the duration of your trip.

Needn't be too noticeable, particularly if you go scuba diving ?

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:43 AM

3M Masks such as the N515 are recommended. The N shows that it meets the N standard of ?NCIOH, an industry organization. A paper surgical mask tightly fitted (use your fingers to pinch) around your nose and chin is also good.