Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

BAR HARBOR, ME area Vacation Rental needed - Family of 5

Jan 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

I'm trying to make a decision on a vacation rental (week) for our family of five (children ages 5,7,9). We're leaning toward the Bar Harbor area as a base for exploring during our first trip to Maine from Delaware.

Can anyone recommend any vacation homes for a week in August for about $1500 or less? We don't need anything fancy or huge...just clean, enough beds for everyone, near water for kids to play a bonus. I've been on VRBO and Homeaway type sites and realize there are many possibilities. Would just like to hear any personal experiences/recommendations.
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:33 AM

We rented off VRBO a few years back near Bar Harbor and it was a good trip!

Narrow it down a bit to exactly what you need. Then email for more pics(if needed)and pricing.

I like to have several options open.
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Bar Harbor is mostly rocky coast, not beach, so I'm not sure about "near water for kids to play". 90% of the best rentals at the best prices will be gone already as Bar Harbor is very busy in August, bookings are often a year in advance.
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:55 AM

You might look at these Salisbury Cove cottages...they are on probably smaller than what you're looking for but come in under your budget. www.barharborcottages.com

If you are looking for reviews of the place, they were formerly known as Cottages at Salisbury Cove.
Jan 27th, 2011, 12:27 PM

We have stayed at the following places:
www.seasidemaine.com
www.isleviewmotel.com

the seaside one is more expensive but is on the water and the kids would enjoy it. The Isleview one we saved about $500 for the week.
Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM

My family has stayed in this cottage/house: www.vrbo.com/242950

It was in a nice area, close to downtown Bar Harbor but not on water. We enjoyed walking to the village area of Bar Harbor from the cottage, although it's a bit of a walk. We thought the house was very quaint and it had everything we needed for the week. The larger beds were not the most comfortable I'd slept on but it worked. But this was a couple years ago so perhaps they've changed the mattress out.

Also, we hoped to get back up there last summer but weren't able, however we talked several times with a local real estate company who were very helpful, returned calls, and answered questions.

www.lsrobinson.com

Good luck, it's a spectacular place. You'll see.