Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What does "self-catering" mean, and other questions regarding B and B's in Cornwall...

Search

What does "self-catering" mean, and other questions regarding B and B's in Cornwall...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Margot

Hello, everyone. I've been looking at brochures of B&B's in Cornwall, and have seen the term "self-catering" numerous times. However, there is never an explanation of what this means (I'm sure it's probably self-explanatory and I'll get slammed on this by someone, but c'est la vie!") Also, I've seen the term "double glazing", relating to some of these cottages, and would also like to know what this means. Perhaps a UK native will let me know what it's all about. Thanks!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Rex

Self-catering means that you do everything for yourself. There is no meal service, you make the beds, clean the bathrooms, buy the groceries, etc.<BR><BR>Sometimes self-catering even means that you provide the sheets, towels and other linenes. Or they may be provided (sometimes at an extra fee). Cleaning might also be available for an extra fee, along with other housekeeping functions, including shopping and cooking. There is almost always a fee for "final cleaning" - - it is the same whther you stay there a week or a month or more; that's why it is not built into the weekly rate.<BR><BR>Double glazing refers to both interior and exterior windows or simply two panes of glass in wondows. Much better for insulation of both climate and noise.<BR><BR>I hope you're not disappointed that my answer doesn't come from England, per se.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex Bickers<BR>Westerville, Ohio<BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 01:47 PM
janis

Rex's explanation is correct - but some how it comes across as slave labor.<BR><BR>Self careting is simply renting a cottage or holiday flat. Just as in the States you might rent a vacation cabin or beach condo for a week. You have a full kitchen, bedroom(s), living room etc. It is not a B&B - but a stand-alone cottage. Therefore meals are not provided &gt; ergo: SELF-catering.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Margot

Dear Rex and Janis:<BR><BR>Thank you both for such speedy, thorough, and kind replies! It turns out that "self-catering" is more of what I'm looking for, rather than a B&B. My husband and I are do-it-yourself kind of people.<BR><BR>Rex - I certainly don't mind that you are American! Although I do, foolishly, get excited over all things British, I really just wanted an answer to my question. Thank you again. <BR><BR>Margot Picou<BR>Slidell, Louisiana

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Mavis

We love travelling using self catering cottages and have done it for many years. It is a very popular way for the English to travel, as well as other Europeans. We've never had to pay for cleaning, although once in awhile we are required to put a security deposit on the place. Although we always try and leave the cottage in good shape, we've never been dinged for cleaning. In France however, you are expected to leave the self catering cottage or gite in immaculate shape, or you will be charged. What is so great about self catering is that you really get to relax and enjoy the tempo of the place. And in England everything is fairly close, so on a day trip you can cover a lot of territory. It's so nice to come 'home' at the end of the day, take off your shoes, get a glass of wine and sit out in your little garden. If you are going to book a place, I have a list of things to look out of, and can send it to you if you contact me by e-mail.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Rex

You're very welcome.<BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 02:47 AM
sylvia

We often self-cater. We have always used English Country Cottages<BR>website<BR> http://www.english-country-cottages.co.uk/ but there are lots of other firms<BR>have a look at <BR>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SMilne6/tour.htm#Accommodation<BR><BR>Cottages vary from basic to quite luxurious. A good tip if there are only two of you is to go for a cottage that only sleeps two or three and one that stipulates no children under 12 and no pets. <BR>As for cleaning, British Country Cottages clean each property between lettings and only charge at the end if they have had to do extra cleaning, that is if you've left the place like a tip. I imagine that most people just try to leave the place as they found it.<BR>As for double glazing. It just means double panes of glass, the sort of thing you probably have at home. You're less likely to find it in the older more picturesque properties, but you'll only really need it if you go in the winter.<BR>I think you'd enjoy self-catering. It's a way to meet local people in the village shop, pub etc.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:42 AM
ttt

Topping

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:53 AM
jw

Hi, Margot. You might want to look at the National Trust properties, too. My book is not w/me, so I can't give you an address or site, but maybe you have it already. Keep us posted, please; I for one would love to hear which village you choose and which agency. Thanks. J.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Ruth

Sylvia is right, it is unlikely that you would have to pay extra for cleaning in a holiday cottage, that cost should be included in the weekly rental. A cleaning charge is often made at the end of a long rental of several months or more. But read the small print of the rental agreement, anyway, for policy on cleaning, breakages, etc.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:19 AM
janis

One tiny translation:<BR><BR>When Sylvia says ". . . left the place like a tip" she means like a dump.<BR><BR>Also when you read "sleeps 2 plus cot" or similar it means they can include a crib.

Old Dec 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As to self-catering and cottages, one of the finest places we have ever stayed was a "cottage" called Hazel Cottage in Ireland. It was a 3 bedroom, absolutely beautiful and very large home, which is exactly what it felt like.

The bedrooms were huge and so were the beds. 2 baths. A gigantic kitchen with every device you can imagine. The dining room could seat 8 easily.

Oh, I forgot to mention the huge, whirlpool tub for two, the steam closet, and a sauna. In the converted garage area was the pool table.

It came at the unbelievable price of 500 euros for the week. It was located in the middle of a fairly large farm and the owners were just great.

Everything from linens to towels to pots, pans and dishes were absolutely top drawer.

Yeah, we liked it.

http://www.hazelcottageireland.com/
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Some of the rentals include a service called "glazing" and sometimes, double glazing. When you arrive, they coat you with a sugary icing, much like the glazing on a donut. You can either do it over your clothing, or sans clothes (which is much superior when it comes to glazing). The members of your party then take turns licking each others glazing, which is a lot of fun.

Double glazing is: the first coat of glazing is applied, and allowed to dry and set, then a second coat is applied. This makes the glazing very thick, and it is very sugary, so all members of the party get a sugar high.

This is done to overcome jet lag on your day of arrival.

Old Dec 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Self-catering is a British term for your renting a property rather than staying at a B&B. (You do your own cooking, cleaning, housekeeping, shopping etc - just like renting a house or cottage for a week or more.)
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM

This thread is 7 years old. It was resurrected by someone advertising on it. That post has now been removed.