WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Search

WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT DO YOU THINK???

If you had 4 weeks to spend vacationing, would you spend all 4 weeks in Great Britain to really get to know it?

or... 2 weeks in London and 2 weeks in Ireland...

or...2 weeks in London and 2 weeks in Paris?

These are very hard decisions...I am coming from the U.S. and know once I get to London, I can fly to Paris using British Midland or Easy Jet for a reasonable price...also,fly to Ireland reasonably...I quess my quandry is this...is 4 weeks too long to spend in Great Britain...any thoughts or comments are appreciated...thanks...soulfulms
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I think the Democrats are going to win control of at least one house in Congress this fall.

Non-descriptive headers make old-timers on Fodors cranky and bring on inevitable lectures like this one. How about, "Dividing time between England, ireland, and Paris"?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM

What I think? I don't think President Bush is going to be thrilled with Mary Fran's predications regarding the next election, LOL.

Sorry soulfulms, I just couldn't resist.

MaryFran has given you some excellant advice. A title that truly represents what your question is will normally get you more informed answers.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

OK...gottcha...sorry i'm a newbie...i want to make the best use of my 4 weeks...my new title is:

IS 4 WEEKS TOO LONG TO SPEND IN GT. BRITAIN?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Yes.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Soulfulms,
Begin a new thread with your title, and perhaps shorten it to: "4 weeks in Great Britain?". Writing it into the text doesn't do you any good. The idea is to title the thread in a way that people will know what you want and be able to respond directly to your question.
Paule
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:53 PM

I would spend 2 weeks in Ireland, a week in London and a week in Paris.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:19 PM

london is way too expensive to spend more than a week...
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Well, another problem with the way you formulated your question is: why assume that London and Ireland constitute Great Britain? I've visited just England and Wales several times, and still don't think I know either. I could easily spend a month divided between Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England, and still not think I "knew" them, So what is it that you want to get to know? And how? Ultimately, my point is: think beyond London.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:40 PM

I think my daughter is crazy to go to Brussels for the umpteenth time when I want her to go to Italy lol...
I think my son should hurry up and move back to the US...his mother is getting old.

I have been to Paris many times, as well as London...I would go 2 weeks each.
But, if you are really thinking of staying in England, a week in London, 2 wandering the countryside then back to a week in London before you leave..
The first week, I would go to a play each night...maybe matinees too, the way Patrick did this past year.

I also think Mary Fran should be listened to, although I am not feeling cranky tonight at all, I might tomorrow
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:02 AM
cherylforeurope

It might help you decide if you read some guide books to determine what interests you have. One person may need to spend hours in every museum while another won't step foot inside. Have you been there before? Do you want large cities, nightlife, countryside, etc? For what my two cents is worth I would definitely include France. Happy planning.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 04:14 AM

1. My first (solo) trip to Britain was at age 17, when I spent 2 months and loved every single minute -- so 4 weeks is NOT too much, if that is where you want to be and you are doing what you want to do there.

2. It's not a tour of duty and there is no exam or term paper to write. So there shold be no checklists and there are no right or wrong choices.

3. Where would you go if you had to spend 4 weeks touring the US? NYC? The mountains? Vermont? That should tell you a lot about the holiday you want. Planning comes more easily if you think about what you like about places you know and then asking "What is the European counterpart?"

4. Then make a list what you want to avoid: (really) bad weather? high prices? bad cooking?

I haven't been to Britain for 8 years because I now prefer France: better weather, more exotic atmosphere, better food, (MUCH) lower prices. There's the start of MY hierarchy of wants......What's yours?

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Speaking of thinking. Did you hear that
Renee Descartes mysteriously disappeared the other day in Paris? Seems like the great philosopher was sitting in a Paris cafe. The waiter asked him if he needed anything else. Descartes answered, "I think not." And poof, he was gone.

If I have to explain that one, forget it.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Neopolitan

No, bob brown. I think not.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Very funny -- I am going to steal that one.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I think that capitalizing a post title does not necessarily help a vague question improve its outlook.

VS :-"
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Ok, if I had 28 days in the UK, I would spend it this way. I think I would get a feel for a place in a week.

7 whole days in London

7 whole days in Paris

7 whole days in Ireland

and another 7 days in another part of the Uk or EU.

I think a minimum is 3 days to get a feel for a place, but with 7 days, you have tons of fun. But keep in mind you lose a day or a total of 4 days just on getting from place to place, finding your hotel, unpacking...etc.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:46 AM

The number of responses to this post compared to the revised one that soulfulms posted later with the clear title seem to suggest that people are more curious about the unknown than interested in responding to the clear and specific question! So much for our suggestions to go for clarity!
Paule
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Ha! See...a catchy title gets more responses!!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Neopolitan

progol, I'd agree with you, except if you discount the posts here who were only making fun and had nothing to do with answering the question, I think you'd find it the other way around!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -