Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you LIKE MOST or NOT LIKE about Zurich

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there in a month, for 3 days and I am getting real excited. Please share your thoughts. Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I absolutely hate Zurich. Stuffy, stuck-up place with too many bankers and too many drug addicts. Will never go back there.

Hope your experience is better than mine.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 07:35 PM

We only spent a day there last October. We just walked everywhere through the old city alleys and streets, especially along the river. Very picturesque. My daughter had her first legal beer (she was 15). Lots of pastry shops. We found an amazing art deco furniture shop. Climbed up the steeple of athe main church which gave us a spectacular view of the river and lake.

We stayed at the iPR Guesthouse, which was very good value. It's veryclean and close to the railway station. We caught an early morning train to Lucca via Florence.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM

If you go down Bahnhofstrasse to the lake, catch the boat to Rapperswil at the other end of the lake. Great little town for lunch and walking around, far from the madding crowd of Zurich. I used to do that in my former life working with lines of Swiss bankers, a clubby bunch with utterly no sense of humor.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We had a very enjoyable single day in Zurich exploring the areas on both sides of the river in the central part of the city. Didn't notice many bankers and missed all the drug addicts. We did watch several local men playing chess near the Lindenhof park with those huge chess pieces the size of small children. Cool.

We especially enjoyed the Chagall stained glass windows in one of the big churches (Fraumunster?) and the views from the top of a church (Grossmunster?) on the other side of the river. In a third church (St. Peter's?) we lucked into an organ tuning. Wow. Great sound.

We had gorgeous weather for our one day, and enjoyed a nice dinner and evening walk on Niederdorfstrasse which was in a very lively area.

Unfortunately, the Rathaus (Town Hall) was not open, and there was a funicular that I wish we had ridden to the top of a hill that probably would have had great views of Zurich. We also didn't have time to explore other towns on the lake. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Zurich.

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zürich is a nice, clean city with some nice buildings. But, please, take at least one day trip out of the city. It's in the countryside where you'll see and feel Switzerland's magic.

Rapperswil is nice and quaint. The old town is picturesque. You can rent a small row boat with a motor and go to the islands. I just walked over the the wooden pedestrian bridge connecting Rapperswil and Hurden last week. It was a very nice and easy walk. The path leads to Pfäffikon, where you can take a train back to Zürich.