What do you do with all your postcards?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been collecting them over the years, and they are just in a pile in a drawer. What can I do with them?? I need ideas.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:04 AM
ira

Hi amelie,

So are mine. If you keep them for a hundred years or so, they become collectibles.

My sister makes collages and frames them.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:08 AM

Do you have your photos in albums?
I make my travel photo albums 'multi-media' and include some pages with postcards (and other things like restaurant receipts, menus, napkins, etc)

Or take a few great ones, and put them in frames, you can have them mounted several to one frame.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

yeah all my photos are in albums, I'm anal about that. I have a seperate scrapbook too.

Framing them is a good idea, something I never got around to....

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:11 AM

Throw them out!

Cheers,
Jan
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:13 AM

Scan them into the computer and then pass them off as your photos!

Okay, seriously, ira and elaine have given good ideas.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:06 AM

I hang them up on my cubicle walls at work. That way I can daydream about exotic locales when I don't feel like working!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:24 AM
dln

I use them as recipe cards and keep them in the kitchen, where I think that I will create the fabulous dishes written on the back...and then never do.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Before I leave on a trip to a country, I mail a set of postcards to friends from that country from my US departure airport. It's cheap to mail them that way.

My friends get a postcard long before one would come back from oversees. Lately it's the only postcard they'll get due to the euro.

If it's a new country for me then I'll send them a postcard from anywhere. I've confused a few people that way.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Mail them to your out of town friends and let them know how you are and that you are thinking of them. Is there a better use?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:00 AM

I have lots of postcards and photos stuck on the inside of closet and cabinet doors. Then every time I need a glass, toothpaste, or towel, I can revisit favorite places and people.

I collect old postcards, so I sewed carefully-spaced buttons on a linen curtain. The buttons are just the right distance apart to work as "photo corners" for the postcards. I have 75 postcards of Italy, circa 1910-1920 displayed on the curtain--all places I have visited that still look much the same.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:00 AM

I've decided to make a table by getting an old, single paned window and place postcards on the glass then "sandwich" them with another piece of glass. Then fix legs from an old TV tray to the bottom. I saw this done on TV and it looked easy and pretty cool.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:14 AM
dln

Sandi, what a great idea! I have tens upon tens of postcards AND an engineer husband! Much better than recipe cards.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:19 AM

<i>Scan them into the computer and then pass them off as your photos!</i>

Good one, degas!

If you don't need to hold on to them, amelie, bardo's suggestion is a great one.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:33 AM

<i>&quot;Before I leave on a trip to a country, I mail a set of postcards to friends from that country from my US departure airport. It's cheap to mail them that way.&quot;</i>

No offense, but what is the point of that? Isn't the whole reason for sending postcards to let those at home know you're having a great time wherever you are?

I gave up sending postcards long ago. No one at home really cares that much that I'm traveling again. I only buy postcards now for my scrapbook - if photograpghy isn't permitted at sites.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:49 AM

I mix the postcards in with my photos in a small album; sometimes the postcards are just better pictures that I can get. I also use the extra postcards during the year as birthday cards, thank you cards, etc. I have tons of them and it's fun going through them to find the right one to send someone for a special occasion.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:03 AM
cd

We packbacked Europe some years ago and my in-laws saved all the postcards we sent to them and gave them to us on our return. I put them in our Europe photo album. It is very interesting now to read the backs about where we've been.It was a nice idea.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:11 AM

i use them as bookmarks, leave them in the book after i've finished reading it, place the book back in the bookcase .... years later i've gone back to a book and had the pleasure of finding a little memory hidden inside. i do this with all sorts of stuff .... concert tickets, boarding passes, bus/train/tram/boat tickets from holidays.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:21 AM

I've framed a few favorites-beautiful Florentine paper designs of the Duomo, Ponte Vecchia et. Also, I've hijacked my husbands cigar boxes &quot;decoupaged&quot; them to the tops and use them as jewelry boxes.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM

- Do you have your photos in albums?
I make my travel photo albums 'multi-media' and include some pages with postcards (and other things like restaurant receipts, menus, napkins, etc) -

That's exactly what I do. When I come home, I put together massive scrapbooks of my trips - in it are postcards side by side of my own amatuerish photos of the same thing - receipts, metro tickets, tour propaganda, fliers and cards. I've turned into a real pack rat during the trip - grabbing and saving anything about what we've seen and done during the trip.

I've found that it really livens up my scrapbook and also helps bring back more memories than just looking at photos and nothing else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -