Reload this Page >

What do people think of this forum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:22 PM
Rose

Hi everyone, I've been on this forum for just a little while (to get help for planning my trip since I'm a rookie on travelling in Europe) and I was wondering how long everyone has been using this forum and what they think about the format/relationships that gets formed in here?<BR>(i knowits a strange line of questions but i'm just curious) =)

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:54 PM
Beth

Although sometimes there are nasty or odd posts here, overall you will find a tremendous amount of information. When I was planning a trip to Europe last summer, I received many wonderful responses to my questions. Many suggestions and/or recommendations on this board were critical to the success of my trip. I try to post occasionally when someone asks a question so that I can "repay" this kindness, in a sense. Now that I am planning another trip for this summer, I again am turning to this board for advice.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:54 PM
xxx

Visit this site for all the answers to all your questions:<BR><BR>http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Rose

thanks "x" for the site - it's funny.<BR>so we're getting flamers in a site that about helping people? do people just come in here LOOKING for a fight?

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:38 AM
xxx

I loved this site when I found it a couple of months ago. There were funny posts, and good informtion. But since the big Fodor's BOOBOO it seems like there have been a lot of negative, nasty and troll posts, political posts and stupid clothing posts. I have learned to just skip over these as they are such a downer on my day.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Jayelle

I think this is the best site for getting your travel questions answered. There's lots more traffic on this site than on any of the other travel boards that I've looked at, and the quality of the information is usually very high. You do have to put up with some rudeness and trolls, but unfortunately that seems to be par for the course on the internet. I'll try to ignore or skip over those types of posts, although I must admit that some of the off-topic posts can be pretty funny until they get deleted.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 08:02 AM
xxx

This is a very good site if you want to travel to France/Italy/Germany and so on. But it looks like there are only half a dozen countries in Europe...

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Karen Blixen

Rose<BR><BR>you will get much info from this site. However, you are correct- there are A LOT of flamers. I think those folks never leave their desks and resent those who do... <BR><BR>the helpful people usually always give out names or at least consistent handles. the jealous sorts are ALWAYS anonymous...<BR><BR>but have fun here! it's great for searching old posts...<BR><BR>Karen<BR><BR>Karen

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 10:22 AM
MaryC

What on earth is the BIG FODOR'S BOOBOO?

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Rita

Rose, I'm extremely pleased with this site and the information gathered here. A few years back, we visited the Cayman Islands and I found Fodors most helpful. We are planning a May trip to Germany and I've found many answers here. Also, some folks have emailed me directly with information and I greatly appreciate it. I do try and pass over the negative bantering that at times dominates -- the most important thing is to focus on your particular needs. I love this website. Rita

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:24 PM
gwen

Rose, I've been using this forum for about a year. There's heavy traffic, which increases your chances of getting good information from wise travelers AND your chances of getting flamed by the nasties. I agree with xxx that "Europe" seems to be made up of London, Paris, Tuscany, and Provence. If you're interested in other areas, your post will most likely sink to the bottom.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Marc David Miller

I think this board covers areas other than France, Italy and England very well. Two things to remember--(1) far fewer Americans go to, say, Germany than visit Italy on vacation, and consequently there are many postings on Italy instead of Germany and Russia and Portugal, and (2) postings don't sink to the bottom, they go off the most recent 50 posts and you can still find them simply if you look. Don't count on every question being answered within an hour or so.