Canned Tours

Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:27 PM
Jo & Bob

Canned Tours

What is wrong with Trafalga Tours? I know CIE and Grand European Tours are good, but what about Trafalgar? We were thinking about booking the 11 day Irish adventure for May.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:15 AM
evelyntrav

Although I don't have much experience with "canned" tours since I usually travel independently, I did use Trafalgar on a trip to New Zealand. They were just fine, the guide was wonderful, we stayed in conveniently located places and had enough time to do things on our own. If you don't mind driving, I suggest doing Ireland on your own as it is so easy to do and you can pick and choose where you want to go. It's great to stay at a small B&B rather than a tour hotel as you get a better sense of Ireland and the people.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:30 PM
Rex

Providing objective critiques about tour companies doesn't seem to be a strong suit here. There is a deep bias in favor of independent travel, against "tours".

Any reason not to consider planning this trip on your own?

Lots of people here who can advise you, step by step on laying out the basic nuts and bolts.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:23 PM
ttt

to the top

Mar 24th, 2002, 08:04 AM
evelyntrav

I had another thought on considering which "canned" tour to take. I think that all the moderately priced tours stay and eat at the same or similar places and it would be wise to make a decision based on itinerary, amount of free time if this is important to you, and number of meals (if you prefer better food choose plans with fewer included meals).

Mar 24th, 2002, 08:50 AM
fatima

The only reason I can think of not to use Trafalgar is that they are an English company. I would much rather see Aireland with an ireland company. Look at www.shamrock.org and check out some of the ones there.

Mar 24th, 2002, 09:07 AM
evelyntrav

Rex, I appreciate the advice you have given in the past. Some people are just not ready to do a trip on their own. I think taking a good canned tour can be an excellent introduction to the world of travel. I have done it both ways and there are unique advantages to each. With a canned tour, there is minimal pre-trip work involved, no concern about schedules and transportation, the companionship of usually very nice people, few hidden costs, an accommodating tour guide to answer all questions and someone to handle the luggage, to name a few. If you don't like the planning and aren't that concerned about what you see and where you eat, it is probably a better way to go. This site is helpful with either.

Mar 24th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Rex

Your opinion is valid, evelyntrav.

I try not to say that independent travel is good tours are bad.

I try to point out that more people here think that, than look at the choice from a balanced perspective.

Bias is worst when it is denied, unidentified or concealed. We proclaim our bias here.

Mar 24th, 2002, 03:34 PM
x

once again you think you speak for everyone

Mar 24th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Rex

No, I don't. And I don't put down those with another view on this issue.

I let people know that they might get an answer biased in favor of independent travel.

Mar 24th, 2002, 04:36 PM
cd

I don't know that anything is wrong with Trafalga or any canned tour as we have never taken them. But, we just returned from Ireland and I believe I saw a sign that did not permit buses on Conner Pass in the Dingle Peninsula. I don't know if that would include Slea Head Drive also, but those two area's had the best scenery that we saw in Ireland. I could be wrong, but it would be understandable as the roads are very narrow. Maybe someone else can say for sure.

Mar 24th, 2002, 05:57 PM
evelyntrav

Rex, I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

I was surprised you responded to "X". I think it is better just to ignore the x's of this site instead of "reinforcing negative behavior", a childish attention getting device.

Search this Thread