Reload this Page >

What do I need to hike in Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Linda

I will be in Italy the first 2 weeks in Sept. and will be spending 3 days in CT (if I can find accomodations)what type of shoes do I need. <BR>I don't want to pack hiking shoes because of the bulk and only need them 3 days, can I get away with running shoes or better yet Teva sandals? <BR>I am active and would like to hike through to all the villages. <BR> <BR>tell me what you think. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Sheila

The only bit I've done is the last bit, which is supposed to be the steepest and worst. If you're fit you could do it in Tevas. Any walk on non paved ground you'd be better with abit of ankle support tho'. Traning shoes, no problem

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Judy

Yes, running shoes are O.K.don't forget the sunglasses, the glare from the sun sometimes could be a little difficult.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:18 PM
maggie

I solve my bulky hiking shoes problem by wearing them on the flights over and back. Same thing for bulky jacket which you can always cram into an overhead compartment once on board. Hope these solutions work for you too!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Nancy

My husband and I did some the hike last week and hiking boots are not necessary. I was glad I had on tennis shoes but it can be done in a good pair of teva type sandals. We did the section from Corniglia to Vernazza (about 80 minutes), very up and down but pretty through the olive trees and vineyards. I wimped out on the section from Vernazza to Monterrosa but my husband did it and was a bit challenged by the steep steps and narrow trails (I don't like heights!). The trail from Riamaggiore to Manora, the Via del Amore is still closed. We talked to people in our hotel, which was in Santa Margherita and they recommended the trails around Portofino as even better and prettier than the ones in CT. Have fun, it is very beautiful. CT is mostly all American tourist. SM was more other European and Italian tourist.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Linda

Thanks for the advice, I just might bring an older pair of trainers and leave them behind and make room for a new pair of shoes! <BR>Nancy, you said your husband did the hike from Vernazza to Monterossa, how long did it take him, and was it along the coast? <BR>If the section is closed are there ways around it? <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Kay

Nancy - did you find Santa Margherita a good base for the Cinque Terre area? Better than staying in CT? Roughly how long does it take to get from SM to the CT villages? <BR>Thanks, <BR>Kay

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Julie

I just returned from Italy earlier this week. We did the entire hike in one day, except between Riomaggiore and Manarola which was closed. As long as your in basic shape, you'll be fine... running or shoes or tevas would be fine (although in tevas your feet would get dirty with all the dusty trails). A couple of areas were challenging, but overall it was no problem. The hike is a bit easier if you go east to west... this saves the hardest hike for last which we questioned, but the terraine on the last path is much easier going east to west! It took us about 1 hour to go between Corniglia and Vernazza and closer to an hour and a half between Vernazza and Monterosso. We stayed in Santa Margharita, which I would highly recommend. It was a nice central location.... 15-20 minute boat ride to Portofino and a 45 minute train ride to Cinque Terre (careful though because return trains in evening are fewer). We took to the train from SM to Riomaggiore, walked through that village, and then caught the boat from Riomaggiore to Manarola because the trail was closed. It depends on what kind of experience you're looking for, but the CT villages are very small... you'll find a better selection of restaurants and hotels in SM or Portofino. It was very hot when we did it... a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and cool clothes were a must! You can get water in each of the towns. It was really beautiful and fun - a highlight of our trip. Hope that helps.