Reload this Page >

Burned in Paris-Hotel St. Louis on Ille St. Louis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Cathy Naifeh

We made hotel reservations last February at the Hotel St. Louis for ourselves, our daughter and her husband and our 80-year-old parents. We received two confirmation e-mails from the hotel and they charged our credit card for the deposit. We called them last week to make sure we had the right telephone number to leave for our families while we are gone and the hotel personnel advised us that they had cancelled our reservation because they had overbooked for that time period. Now we are two days away from going to Paris and we have no rooms.<BR><BR>Any suggestions?

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Carol

Cathy:<BR><BR>What a horrible situation. Probably your best bet - although probably not your first choice - would be to check some of the major hotel chains. Many of them have several hotels throughout the major cities of the world and you may have a better chance of accomodations for all of you.<BR><BR>You may check:<BR><BR>Ibis Hotels<BR>www.ibishotel.com<BR><BR>Holiday Inn<BR>www.holiday.inn.com<BR><BR>Libertel<BR>www. libertel-hotels.com<BR><BR>Timhotel<BR>www.timhotel.fr<BR>< BR>Almost anyplace you stay in Paris is better than not being in Paris at all.<BR><BR>Bon chance,<BR>Carol

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Christina

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing. In fact, I'm not sure they can do that if they have charged money to your card, but what can you do. In addition to the above chain suggestions, I'd recommend you call Best Western (www.bestwestern.com) as they have quite a few decent hotels in Paris and one phone call can probably handle vacancies in all. Libertel is a good suggestion, they have nice hotels. The HOliday Inn Republique is very large so might have rooms, but it's not real cheap, I don't think, but sometimes they have deals. I would try www.hotelboulevard.com, I've read some folks who had them help with reservation suggestions; not sure on turn-around. My first preference would be digital.france.com/hotels, they have a very good selection of hotels in Paris and their web site will give you vacancy estimates in minutes; from that list, I would choose maybe three possibilities that I preferred and email them to try to book. They responded to me overnight on my booking request. If worse comes to worst, go to the Paris Tourist Office when you get there at 127 Champs-Elysees, they have a hotel booking service and I'm sure can find you something although it may not be what or where you wish, so I would leave that choice for last-minute desperation (I don't think they have a bureau in CDG airport, which would be convenient, but I'm not sure). Needing 3 rooms is a problem, I'll agree. I'm sure there are vacant rooms in Paris at this point, but finding them all together in a hotel you like will be time-consuming. Another tip: go to www.123france.com or www.parishotels.com and search for hotels with July/August room reduction specials. I could be wrong on this tactic, but I'll bet those hotels typically have more trouble getting fully booked in July so might be more likely to have rooms. www.parishotels.com has a nice selection of moderately-priced hotels.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Paule

Do you have any record of your confirmation of your reservation? I would put the responsibility back onto the hotel, since they DID give you a reservation-- and tell them to find you a comparable hotel. I would think that suddenly they might have room at their own if you pushed it.<BR><BR>Of course, I wouldn't depend solely on them, and would look to find some alternatives. But I would certainly push them a little more to honor those reservations that you made in good faith.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Lori

I think Paule might have an idea there. I'd also contact Best Western (have used them in the past myself) and as Christina said they handle dozens of hotels in Paris so one call can handle it (go through their 800 #). Might also check Novatel Les Halles - large hotel, decent rooms. With your limited amount of time I'd stick with a chain hotel whereby one call is all you need to make. It's too late for e-mails and faxes! I think Comfort Inns have some affiliates in Paris too. The Mercure chain is another option. Sorry I can't be of more help - I do hope this gets resolved quickly and that you get to enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Suzy

How terrible! I don't think they can do that (legally) once they've confirmed and charged your card.<BR>In the meantime, however, I agree with the suggestions about the Libertel hotels. I've found them to be very nice and quiet, and they are running some good summer promotions now. They have a website at www.libertel-hotels.com that provides information on each location. Don't book on the site, though, because you can get lower rates if you call their agents at 1 800 mercure. I've found them very helpful and nice. We stayed at the one in the Marais (not far from Ile St. Louis) and were happy there. They also have some higher rated hotels, among which friends have recommended Belle Chasse, Argentine, and <BR>Prince de Conti. They offer both smoking and non-smoking rooms.<BR>Good luck<BR><BR>Suzy

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:37 PM
BTilke

Cathy,<BR>What a nightmare!! What appalling hotel management. Hotels will be very booked all over, but I suggest you try the Hotel Luxembourg Parc by the Luxembourg Gardens. It just opened about two months ago, so may have rooms. There phone number is 33 (0) 1 53 10 36 50. Explain your situation and see what they can do to help. Unfortunately, it's a 4* hotel, which means it will be more expensive than the Hotel St. Louis. Another suggestion would be the Hotel Princesse Caroline near the Arc de Triomphe. Not quite as romantic a location, but very central and the rooms were among the nicest 3* rooms I've ever had in Paris. Their web site is www.hotelprincessecaroline.fr Please let us know if you've found something. This is really inexcusable.<BR>BTilke

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Alex

Sad to report, but I too had a distressing experience with the Hotel St. Louis. I booked (paying 1 night's rent as deposit) a room with balcony, requesting top floor (5th) in November 2000 for a late April 2001 5 night stay to celebrate my wife's birthday.We were told the 5th floor was being renovated but the 4th also had balconys. We booked one and requested a 5th floor if it became available. In January we did book a 5th floor room by e-mail and it was confirmed by e-mail. A subsequent e-mail reconfirmed and asked them to reconfirm reservations at the Tour d'Argent, answered affirmatively. The week before we arrived I "confirmed" again by e-mail and got a reply telling me the room I requested might not be available. I protested loudly by e-mail, and, ultimately, the reservation was honored. The renovation was splendid and the service workers were wonderful, especially Cecilia.<BR>Nevertheless, that left a distaste in my mouth for the Hotel, and, I could not recommend it to anyone. Although I love that area of Paris I'd book elsewhere next time. I agree that the island is pricey. There are probably many alternatives in the 4th, 5th and 6th arrondissements as close to many of the same attractions, at better prices with larger rooms. The restaurants remain good,and Berthillon's ice cream the best. <BR>Having so vented, it's long been my observation that the French treat hotel reservations as suggestions for their obligations. I've been similarily burned--down-graded in favor of a longer staying guests, at hotels on the Riviera and in Paris.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 04:17 PM
xxx

Unfortunately, hotels can and do overbook, just like airlines. They can do this even when you've reserved in advance and guaranteed with a credit card. I've had this happen to me before, although never in Paris. Usually, if you arrive at the hotel and find that they have overbooked, you'll be "walked" to another hotel. That is, the hotel will find you a room at another hotel and send you there. If they've already charged your card, you'll of course have to make sure that they credit you for the charge. However, there's really not much else that you can do about it.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:12 AM
linda

Cathy, A couple of years ago I booked a reservation at Hotel St. Louis for my father and son. When it became possible to extend their stay I called hoping to extend the reservation, although I was not optimistic. Low and behold, they did not even have a record of the original reservation. It was early enough to book elsewhere, but not on Ile St. Louis. Also, I did ask for help finding a new hotel, but they begged off.<BR><BR>linda

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:32 AM
elaine

Cathy<BR>If I were you I'd let the hotel know that you are going to post about your experiences in the Rants and Raves section of this Fodor's website and every other message board you can think of. All of you with bad experiences should post it--it will provide a good service to unsuspecting others. THis is clearly not an isolated mistake.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Heather

Thank goodness you called to check, but I am still very sorry for your dilemma. The same exact thing happened to me with La Familia in Paris last year (after booking 7+ months in advance and confirming via email AND fax). When they refused to honor their confirmations that I had in writing, I lucked into a room at the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais. If you are interested, I can email you a recent article on Parisian hotels under US$100 that was in National Geographic Traveler. While these may be booked, it is a place to start. Just drop me an email if you are interested.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Robin

Cathy--<BR><BR>This may be too late to do you any good, but try the Hotel le Lavoisier in the 7th. Friends of ours just got in there on short notice. It's a very nice hotel, but it hasn't been open long, so it's not in any of the guidebooks. Good luck!

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Suzy

One more thought. Have you checked lastminute.com? They have some good deals, sometimes for very nice hotels, which have rooms left at the last minute. <BR><BR>Suzy

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Ishoo

My suggestion would be to go elsewhere. Paris is the most overrated city that I have ever visited. Being treated like that will certainly leave a bitter taste for all of you. There are far better places to go to in Europe.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:37 AM
elaine

Cathy<BR>If you haven't found something already, <BR>contact a booking service like<BR>www.hotelboulevard.com. That website also often has comments from past hotel guests.<BR>If this is your first trip to Paris, don't let that rotten hotel experience spoil it for you; it is clearly a problem with that particular hotel, not with Paris itself. You should have a lovely time.<BR>I can email you a file on Paris; if you still have time and interest, email me.<BR>bon voyage

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 11:47 AM
question

Wow, I wasn't sure what the possibility of this happening might be, but it did cross my mind that it could happen. I reserved a room in a 2 star in the Marais for two weeks at the end of September. I have a fax confirmation. Should I worry that they won't honor our reservation? Is there anything I should do at this point? It's our first trip to Paris and I wanted to make it very special. thanks.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 12:16 PM
s.fowler

Okay -- devious thought time. Has anyone had a faxed confirmation and arrived at the Paris hotel and been told "no room"? My thinking here... maybe the people who DO call to confirm are the ones they cancel, because they're on the phone? Maybe they solve their "overbooking", by penalizing the rsponsible ones? Or am I too suspicious by half?

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Jack

Too bad about your cancellation - but I agree with the advice for the chains, although you might at first find that perspective a bit disappointing. <BR><BR>I go to France frequently, and not always on a company nickel, and have found that Ibis are fine for the money.<BR><BR>By the way, as you have 80 year old parents with you, driving in Paris is a breeze, and a small car through Hertz but booked in the US is a great way to get around, and to have out of Paris access without stairs,trains, etc, etc.<BR>I do this all the time. The Ibis on the rue Lafayette is a good one, and somewhat central although certainly not near Notre Dame !<BR><BR>There might be some room at the Hotel Michelet Odeon, near the Odeon, where some friends stayed this spring and found it fine and not too pricey. It is in the guides and on the web.<BR><BR>You'll have a grand time in any case!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Mika

The biggest hotel chain in France is the ACCOR Hotel Group. They have everything from 5 Star to 1 Star hotels and a very good reservation system.<BR>www.accor.com<BR>You will find something, don't worry.Enjoy Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -