What did you forget to take??

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

What did you forget to take??

I'm making last minute preparation for a 3 week trip with hubby to France, including Paris, Normandy, and Provence. The suitcase and carry-on is packed but I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting. Help me out. On your last trip, what did you realize too late that you should have brought along?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM
P_M

On my last trip I almost forgot my book which I was going to read on the plane. I remembered as I was walking out the door.

It sounds like you are getting last-minute jitters. I always get those too. Just remember that anything you forgot can be bought when you get there, so no need to worry. Bon Voyage!!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:34 PM

extra batteries and memory card (or at least a larger one) for digi cam---learned lesson the hardway at my friend's wedding (and had to get pics from friends) this was also the trip i forgot my pajamas.

i've forgotten toothpaste and deodorant before, but that can be picked up easily.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Mk, as long as you have your travel documents, any eye prescription items, any medicines (RX or OTC) credit and ATM cards you can buy anything else you need along the way.

Have you made a list? I have one I made ages ago and so always read through it which is a great help.

Do remember to call your credit card companies and the banks that you have your ATM cards with to advise them of your trip so they do not put a freeze on your various accounts. That is most important!

You sound organized. Have a wonderful time with your husband in France!

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM

We got back two weeks ago. 1. Nail clippers.2.crazy glue 3.pumice stone for feet 4.special shampoo for daughter whose hair turns green with too much chlorine and last but not least more suntan lotion. Oh one more thing it was cold in Venice in August.I couldn't believe it we froze..a sweater!
Have a great trip!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:39 PM

p.s. Check Passports.We got to LAX and I had taken my other son's passport instead of the son that was traveling with us. What a nightmare!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Good grief anamarie, tell us the rest of the story? How did you handle that? Every travellers nightmare!!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Just a thought, mk, do check the EXPIRATION DATES on your credit cards. One time in Italy we went to use one and it had expired the day before. Fortunatly we had other credit cards with us.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

I read somewhere that we should each have some small passport type photos with us, but I can't remember why we will need them! Not sure it's worth the effort now to try and find a "photo booth" and smile for the camera. Just why is it that we'll need these shots?
Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM

mkdiebold-
Passport size photos are good
--if you buy a certain passes, and it has a place for you picture
--if you loose your passport, the pictures come in handy
--if your getting visas (not applicable to you
I'm sure theres other reasons i'm forgetting
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM

LoveItaly..I guess I had the last minute jitters.I had carefully planned this trip, with all of you guys and had gone over everything. At the last minute I took all the passports(5) to make copies, and our copy machine didn't work. So I said forget it, I am not going to worry anymore. I walked into my college son's room and said here's your passport. But it was my 17 year old's. We drove 1 hour to LAX and at check-in the lady at AIRNewzealand said this isn't Kevin. I was horrified! Kevin had to hightail it up to LAX. He got there at curbside, I ran out we switched passports, and I thought is this how it's going to start? I promise a trip report
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Lordy anamaria! I would have had heart failure by then! When we travel with our 3 sons, it's always COMPLICATED. Mine look a lot alike, but the whole passport thing is the real deal these days! One of ours pulled off the "driver's license" switch so he could be 21 sooner.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM

mkdiebold, And just imagine. I couldn't get in touch with him at first.It took 15 minutes and he thank goodness had his cellphone. Then we had to wait 1 hour for him to drive up to do the switch. I was having heart failure that entire time.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM

On my trip to France & Italy in April, I forgot all my credit cards. I don't carry my billfold with me and I just forgot to put them in my handbag. Luckily I had plenty of cash in my coin purse that stays in my handbag. I know that's not smart, but it can come in handy.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM

As for why it might be a good idea to bring passport type photos -- I know this is VERY unlikely, but it HAS happened.

If, simultaneous with your loss of a passport, you experience facial injuries (say, a transportation accident or a mugging); your passport photo will have damaged ugly face for years!

As for what to bring to Europe, this is something we forgot on our SIXTH trip to Europe this year, even after telling ourselves to bring them -- wash clothes! You won't find them even in four star hotels!! Towels, yes. Wash clothes, no.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM

I once forgot my watch. Not dire, but very inconvenient. Since I never like to take my favorite watch with me, I now pack an old watch ahead of time.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM

BTW
Are you sure you're forgetting to "take" something and not forgetting to do something?
Did you stop your mail, paper etc?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM

I'd tell you if I could only remember......
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM

I usually spend the trip to the airport fretting about "what I forgot". So far I haven't forgotten anything life-altering. I figure as long as I have my passport, credit card, ATM card, favorite walking shoes (worn on the plane, so tough to forget!) and prescription meds, anything else can be replaced.

One thing that has helped is a few weeks before a major trip, I take over the bed in the guest room and put everything on the bed that I want to take. Of course, some of the clothes and toiletries can't be put aside that early, but I find this very helpful for paperwork, books, vitamins etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Don't forget to take a few item s OUT of your luggage! Re-check the batteries and memorycards on your camera.

Keep a running list of things tht need to be done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO