Reload this Page >

What currency should I take?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 06:12 PM
Val

We plan to be visiting France,Italy ,Greece,Portugal and England and do not want to keep changing our money.Can anyone tell me is there one currency that most of these countries accept?

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 06:27 PM
JOAN DOYLE

I'm not sure it's a good idea for you-all to be traveling by yourselves, A SINGLE CURRENCY indeed! That's a dream of the supporters of a United Europe. For your purposes, though, I think a credit card with a large balance will suit most of your needs. Be VERY CAREFUL when you use the ATM machines--but you should be able to limit yourselves to just the cash you actually need. And let us know you're back safely when you do come back. Bon voyage! Joan

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 09:09 PM
Debra

I would suggest getting a debit card if you bank offer one. They work very similarly like a credit card, but the withdrawals come straight from your banking account (no high interest charges like those on a credit card). They are accepted at ATMs and by vendor all over the world.

Deb

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 09:22 PM
Donna

A debit card is definitely excellent for withdrawing cash from ATM's as you need it wherever you happen to be. Be sure, however, that you have a 4-digit numerical PIN. Also ascertain which networks your card is on and in which countries it can be used (your bank should have a pamphlet in this regard). I have seen many reports on various travel boards of debit/ATM cards not working here and there (and neither of our worked anywhere in Paris). As a backup, we like to make a large "overpayment" on one or more of our credit cards before we leave. We make arrangements with the credit card company so that this is added to our cash advance limit. Then, if necessary, we can obtain a cash advance at any foreign bank without worring about instant interest charges.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 12:42 PM
Richard

Every country accepts the US $, the devil is in the exchange rate. In our travels, we try to 'card' everything we can, almost everyone takes Visa. Try to calculate how much 'walking around money' you'll need and change it at the hotel( the rate will be high, but I assume you're not changing hundreds at a time). When you get home and check your Visa statement you'll find they get a VERY good exchange rate. When you check out of the hotel, pay your bill with whatever of the local currency you have left and put the balance on Visa. (I have no connection to Visa except for my monthly bill).

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 12:58 AM
George Holt

I second (or fifth?) the above. US Dollar currency and travel cheques should be exchangeable at banks and bureaus across Europe (but not generally usuable as cash like dollar travel cheques in the US). Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted in the countries you mention. As regards compatible debit cards, names to bandy at your bank include Delta and Switch which are widely used debit cards in the UK and for the continent my bank card is also valid as a Maestro or a Cirrus card.

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 12:48 PM
Bob

No matter if you use your VISA or Travelers Cheques
you will have a need for cash. I always take at least $200 in local currency for each county I'm traveling to. Otherwise the first thing you have to do when you for exampe get to an airport is find a bank and cash a travelers cheque.

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 01:49 AM
Luellyn

I live in Italy and travel frequently. Your best bet is a Visa card and American Express Travelers cheques. Amex has many info locations that are invaluable-- however, their cards are not accepted as readily as Visa... the travelers checks will get you service from Amex offices and Visa will give you acces to most shops and you will (generally) get a much better price due to the volume of their exchange rate!
Enjoy!